Should dessalinianism be an alternative to nationalism?

Michel Nau_

Post by Michel Nau_ » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:31 pm

Marcien, please just call me Michel. We are among Haitians and friends here and I consider you and the other members here as my virtual friends. We are here to look for and bring solutions to our problems and I believe that my question “should Dessalinianism be an alternative to Nationalism” is a legitimate question.

One of the raisons that I brought this question on the table Marcien is because I see at the horizon a tendency of some members of our intelligentsia who think that they are more patriots, and more Haitians than the rest of us, they feel that they are transcended by the spirit of the father of our divine country, they feel like they are the chosen, and in a mission by trumpeting, shellconching, “lambifying” very loud this ideology, live free or die (dessalinianism) as an alternative to solving the problems of the Haitian people.

You have answered the question when you said that “Time has changed which is true—Haiti needs help, which is also true, and she needs help according to them hum-- I pass on that one—and that notion of resurrecting the Dessalinesism ideology in our modern time of globalization is extremely dangerous, which is again true”.

Therefore, you and I agree that Haiti can not, and shouldn't isolate itself from the rest of the world.

DPean

Post by DPean » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:18 pm

[quote]"At the first firing of the alarm gun, the cities will disappear and the nation rise!"
[/quote]
I am impressed by it, too. Too bad, our subsequent leaders chose not to put into practice. Boyer, for one, chose to capitulate to France, and chose to cough up the so-called debt of independence which mortgaged the future of the nation. Was it practicality or cowardice? I chose the later. What do you think?