Miami Herald Asserts Haiti as US Protectorate!

Empress Verite

Miami Herald Asserts Haiti as US Protectorate!

Post by Empress Verite » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:12 pm

One and Respe!

A recent Miami Herald piece has put forth this idea of Haiti as a protectorate of the US. I am appalled at this and I am also fearful that it will materialize. I don't think that Guadeloupe and Puerto Rico are very happy with their situations and I don't think that Haiti will be either. We are the last frontier in a way to the complete annexation of the Caribbean by the US. Is this where we are heading ultimately?

I saw this on a news program formally hosted by Latortue and his ministers and I could not believe my ears. The article was published in the Miami Herald sometime recently and I had not read it. I am in complete disagreement with this and I hope that Haitians hurry up and get it together because they are trying to bring us back in time. The 1920s and 1930s in Haiti were some of the worse times for us. The US destroyed our social democracy they stole our mon
ey and resources and instituted legal Jim Crow. We do not want to return to these times so tell the US to get out of our affairs. At the same time we must stop handing out our hands to them for help. I blame this on a misguided elite who are plagued with self hatred and resentment against the downtrodden in their nation.

The US and the international community also needs to stop giving money in exchange for laissez faire policies in business and finance. I believe that with good intentions, strength and hard work we will get there.

Please tell me that they cannot do this...At least not during my lifetime.

Mesi anpil.

Empress Verite

Bay Ayiti Ou Chans

Post by Empress Verite » Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:48 pm

One and Respe!

The Haitian prostitutes abroad primarily in South Florida who orchestrated the ouster of Aristide and the continued persecution of Lavalas members should be held accountable for this current disastrous situation. I believe that this is probably what they wanted from the get go. And now they have it and the downtrodden wretched Haitians are paying the price in large numbers. The Lavalas representatives in South Florida are also not as vocal and aggressive against this assault as they should be. Recently, one representative who welcomed Teressa Heinz Kerry during the presidential campaign (she made a visit to the Haitian community's democratic reps to discuss the natural disaster in the North West region) pleaded with her for help and later claimed that folks could not stay home and expect to get help. I could not believe that comment because as a student I know that drive nan la riya is not going to give you time to study. And we need to study and read and write as much as possible so that we can find a solution to these problems. At the same time, they are refusing to admit that black on black crime has increased and so has racial profiling but no one is acknowledging it and so nothing is being done.

This is my response to this Miami Herald article. The fact is that I expect that kind of comment from the benign well meaning non Haitian priviledge ethnic Others. They are tired of a situation that they encouraged with their racist and ethnocentric practices in education, employment, housing and other parts of social life.

So where are people like me to go? Who will welcome us and give us a home or hope or both? I am not a Haitian born Haitian, I was born in New York city but because of my chosen lifestyle I feel persecuted and I wrote to Mr. Latortue about my situation in South Florida I really thought that he would help me since he was so quick to run to the aid o
f Haitian students in Haiti (whose condiitons have not improved an iota). I am still waiting.

kenbe and keep hope alive.

Empress Verite

Miami Herald Piece on Haiti as Protectorate

Post by Empress Verite » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:06 pm

One and Respe!

I found the article and here it is in his own words. Please help us and save us from this madness. And thank goodness for our Africans idrens.

NATION IN CHAOS

An international protectorate could bring stability to Haiti

BY DON BOHNING

DonBohning@aol.com

As Haiti descends deeper each day into anarchy, the time has come to consider some form of international protectorate to take temporary control of that beleaguered Caribbean country.

It is increasingly obvious that Haiti's current interim government, installed under U.S. tutelage following President Jean-Bertrand Aristide's Feb. 29 flight into exile, has neither the popular support nor the capacity to meet the challenge of the country's ongoing disintegration.

If Haiti is to continue as a functioning independent state, alternative options -- including a period of internatio
nal governance -- need to be seriously contemplated to stem nearly two decades of unremitting political, economic and social deterioration.

The history of such missions (called mandates, protectorates, trusteeships or, most recently, transitional administrations) has not been particularly auspicious, but it is clear that nothing else has succeeded in Haiti. As unpalatable as it may be for the vast majority of Haitians, who spent 1915 to 1934 under a U.S. Marine occupation, ceding temporary sovereignty to an international body is one option slowly gathering momentum.

`A predatory state'

An outside panel of academics, in a Nov. 8 hemisphere analysis prepared for -- although not necessarily reflecting the views of -- the Miami-based U.S. military's Southern Command, which includes Haiti in its area of responsibility, observed that the country ``is on the verge of an outward explosion of boat people and an inward immolation of gang-on-gang violence.''

The report's executive summar
y also notes: ``Haiti's violence is the consequence of a predatory state, a nonexistent political culture, economic collapse and ecological destruction. Long-term measures are necessary, to the point of considering Haiti for protectorate status under a Brazilian-led regional coalition, if one can be created that is willing to support a 10-year restoration initiative.''

Even some Haitians will tell you privately that protectorate status may be the only solution to the country's current morass, with the United Nations as the most likely -- although not the only -- candidate to undertake such a role. Counting the present U.N. Stabilization Mission in Haiti, the U.N. Security Council already has authorized nine special multinational missions to Haiti over the past decade, although none has had a mandate to administer the country.

Although not endorsing such a role, U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan wrote in The Wall Street Journal two weeks after Aristide began his exile that ''Haiti is clearl
y unable to sort itself out, and the effect of leaving it alone would be continued or worsening chaos.'' Among the lessons learned from past U.N. missions, Annan added, is that ``there can be no quick exit. A long-term effort -- 10 years or more -- is needed to help rebuild the police and judiciary as well as basic social services such as healthcare and education.''

Ericq Pierre, a respected Haitian economist at the Inter American Development Bank, said in a recent paper that the presence of U.N. missions in Haiti, ''whether it is in the ambit of protection of human rights, or that of the organization of elections or for the maintaining of peace, always benefits the population.'' But, added Pierre, ``these missions have had to face three fundamental constraints: Their mandate has never been very precise, their terms have never been defined, their means of operation have always been very limited.''

The contemporary history of the protectorate concept dates to World War I with formation
of the League of Nations and creation of the mandate system to administer former colonies and territories of the German and Ottoman empires. It was succeeded after World War II by U.N. trusteeships to administer the world's remaining colonial territories, with the termination of Palau in 1994 as the last such entity.

The end of the Cold War gave birth to U.N.-sponsored transitional administrations to shepherd dysfunctional states back to viability. East Timor, Kosovo and Bosnia are among more-recent examples. Such a structure was considered for Liberia in 2003 but discarded at the last minute in favor of an indigenous national transition government. Apart from the United Nations, there was the U.S.-created and -run Coalition Provisional Authority, which governed Iraq for a year after the 2003 U.S. invasion.

Society is polarized

Obviously, the establishment of any form of multilateral or unilateral transitional administration for Haiti would have to overcome considerable antipathy from bo
th the international community and Haitians themselves, rightly proud of their status as the world's first black republic in 1804 and the Western Hemisphere's second independent nation.

More than 200 years later, Haitian society is polarized. Political violence is a staple of daily life, disrupting commercial and social activity. Individual and collective national security is nonexistent. The police force -- numbering less than 3,000 for a wild and rugged country with a population of more than eight million -- is understaffed and inefficient. Armed pro- and anti-Aristide gangs battle almost daily in the capital, while a pseudo-guerrilla force of ex-Haitian soldiers -- a significant factor in Aristide's departure -- independently controls much of the country.

On the verge of extinction

The economy is in ruins, battered by an accumulation of official mismanagement, corruption and incompetence, coupled with natural disasters that have left thousands dead and many more homeless, a byproduc
t of the years of ecological degradation. Gonaives, the country's third largest city, is on the verge of extinction, first from the ravages of armed conflict and then from the flood waters of Tropical Storm Jeanne. A provisional electoral council created by the interim government to prepare for new elections late next year is in disarray, with the elections themselves in jeopardy unless security improves.

''What is going on is literally insane,'' concluded Haitian human-rights activist Jean-Claude Bajeux, reflecting on the country's current situation in an interview earlier this month. ``It is what we call in philosophy a death march. If we can't stop this, we are looking at the destruction of the Haitian nation.''

Don Bohning reported on Haiti for The Miami Herald from the mid-1960s until 2000.