Investing in its people is what Haiti needs

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:17 am

[quote]In the East coast, especially in Massachusetts, the early waves of Haitians were better off than the Irish. The Irish came here poor, hungry and illiterate. The first waves of Haitians were middle class and educated. The Irish had nothing. They were called Blacks or monkeys. The little money they made they built schools and churches to keep their children away from the Anglo prejudices and preserve their Irish-Catholic cultures. They train many teachers, doctors, lawyers, to train and teach their children. What haitians are teaching other Haitians in the diaspora? what after school programs we have like the Jews, the Moslems, the Asians to teach our values and culture? [/quote]

Nekita,

Haitians don't have a tradition in their country of birth of cooperation "Kole tet ansam" and prospering together. This explains why outside of the US, they succeed individually and not as a group. It will be ver
y difficult for them to teach themselves to prosper together when they have no experience in it. I don't want to sound pessimist, but it seems to me that they will need an outsider to spearhead any effort in that direction, or a paradigm shift needs to take place. By that I mean an outside force with great changing magnitude on emotions, such as a calamity, that it forces them to change. In the case of the Jews, the holocaust was the catalyst for the paradigm shift. I hope we don't have to go that far.

Jean-Marie