I was reminded how beautiful Haiti is and was...

admin
Site Admin

I was reminded how beautiful Haiti is and was...

Post by admin » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:11 pm

This is an excerpt from a post by Jean-Marie Florestal, in a different thread on this forum (Political Notebook: http://haitiforever.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1542 ). It is so very beautiful that I wanted to reproduce it here in the Environment section.

[quote]I was just reminded how beautiful Haiti is and was, a few weeks ago, and also how bad it has become. I just went to my native Jeremie. Yet, the scenery in the wooded area behind my old neighborhood is breathtaking. Literally, guys, they are small rain forests. You can walk at mid-day under the trees for hundreds of yards and still not being touched by one sun ray under the protection of the canopy of the trees. Yes, they have areas like that in Haiti! That's how it was in a "ravin" behind an old friend's house. The diversity of the flora is unlike anything I ever saw here in the US
A: breadfruit trees, avocado trees, mango trees, kenepa trees, tamarin trees, palm trees, anakarik, et the dozens of non fruit trees names that I don't know. All of that in an area where I grew up that is less than 10 square miles.

The scenery was about the same at O'back, an area [east] of Jeremie where the bridge built by Estime suspends over the Grand'Anse river. I saw "Pipirites." You know, the water transport apparatus made from bamboos pushed by a pole used primarily for fishing. The beauty of the place was heartbreaking as the river snakes though the lush greens of trees and shrubs. It's hard to believe that the place kept all its charm despite the decades of mismanagement and neglect. The water was clear on that day in the Grand'anse river. The teenagers of the area reveled in taking a cool dive in the majestic waters of the river. As a child I walked over that bridge several times a year to go on Saturday crusades with the religious brothers of my school to Cannon. That is where a local
distillery had its machinery that is powered by water from the Voldrogue river. That was the only laboratory I had for science experiment. There I could see sugar cane being ground by a machine that is powered by the energy of falling water coming from the river Voldrogue. I was mesmerized by the science of the place.

Also, my friends and I, we used to go hunting for different types of mangoes and sugar cane juice in friends' properties in this area. I miss the simplicity and the uncomplicated nature of life in those days. Just a throwback at you, guys! Sorry for the disgression! [/quote]