Relief: Haitian Solidarity Network of the Northeast (HSNNE)

admin
Site Admin

Relief: Haitian Solidarity Network of the Northeast (HSNNE)

Post by admin » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:23 pm

I have already listed on this forum several lists of organizations you can contact to participate in the relief effort. Here is an additional organization (501c status), which I fully endorse as I have been a member for the past several years and I can attest to their great dedication to helping several rural communities in Haiti, including some not far from the city of Gonaives.

Haitian Solidarity Network of the Northeast (HSNNE)
39 Bleeker Street
Newark, NJ 01102

Personal contacts:
- S. Kay Coll (973) 648-0003
- Georgette Delinois (201) 836-4738

If you live in the New Jersey area particularly, please come through for us. If you live elsewhere, your contributions to the relief effort are accepted as well.

I have received today from Nekita Lamour a $50 contribution for Windows on Haiti and the Ann Pale Forum. I
very much appreciate her contribution, the only one I have received this year, but in such dire circumstances, I must redirect it to the relief effort. So, Nekita, thank you very much, but I extend your assistance to many more people. Thank you from all of us.

Finally, I must share with you this information which I have collected from the Fonkoze website (see Haiti Forever - Communities or http://www.fonkoze.org/hurricane%20relief.htm ) :

[quote]Hurricane Relief Efforts

Fonkoze is still assessing the full impact of the recent devastation caused by Hurricane Jeanne on our clients, our employees and our two branch offices most seriously affected in Northern Haiti: Port de Paix and Gonaives. These clients may have lost their businesses, their homes and their families. In addition, they have limited means to recover from the horrible impacts of the hurricane. Unless our clients have the necessary capital to get their businesses running again, they will remai
n in a state of abject poverty with no means to work themselves out of it.

Fonkoze also has over 30 employees in these two branches who work relentlessly, with little compensation, and in difficult conditions to make sure that our clients receive their loans on time, their savings are deposited safely with Fonkoze, and that they receive the training they need to manage their businesses more effectively and lead better, healthier lives. They too may have lost their homes and their families. Unless they are able to get back to work as soon as possible, our clients will not have the essential support provided by our hardworking field staff.

Finally, the two Fonkoze branch offices most seriously affected by the hurricane have suffered serious damage. The generators and invertors used due to a lack of electricity are now waterlogged and must be replaced. Desks, file cabinets, and other office infrastructure are missing or have been ruined. Unless these branch offices are up and running as soon as p
ossible, there is nowhere for clients to deposit or withdraw their savings or receive the crucial loans they need to get back on their feet.

Fonkoze's funding needs are targeted towards the long-term needs of our clients. In particular we are requesting funding to:

1) Help our clients get back on their feet. Our partner in Bangladesh (a country with its own share of flooding), Grameen Bank, has found over the years that the best way to help clients recover from environmental devastations is to make sure they have access to capital AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to get their businesses operating again so income is generated to help fund food, shelter, and clothing needs.

2) Help our employees get back to their jobs. Our employees have lost their homes and other assets. They need to be able to get their lives back in order so that they may begin working with our clients AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to disburse loans and other services our clients desperately need.

3) Help our branch offices to open an
d serve clients again. Our branch offices are often the only place where people in Northern Haiti can safely deposit savings or request a loan. Due to poor roads, limited electricity, and general insecurity, banks have very little presence in these areas. Our clients depend on us – there is nowhere else for them to go. Unless our offices are up and running again AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, we will be letting our clients down.

This has been a tough year for Haiti – floods, political insecurity, and now a hurricane. We at Fonkoze would like to thank you for all of your past support and generosity. We are now asking you to show your solidarity with the people of Northern Haiti during this time of great need.

Send a check to Fonkoze USA, PO Box 1695, New York, NY 10156 or donate online at http://www.fonkoze.org/getinvolved/waystogive.htm . Indicate in your donation that you would like to fund the ‘hurricane relief efforts.' Fonkoze USA promises that 100% of these funds will be forwarded to Haiti and used f
or the purposes described above. [/quote]

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:34 am

I am sorry, I never knew where to contribute for WOH...

Personally, I don't have enough money to show my gratitude towards the great Windows on Haiti. I have contributed to many foreign org. before.

Before accepting my shameful behavior, I have this lam excuse: I am not very computer litterate.

Believe me, I mean every word that I 've written before. It is one of the reasons myself, I believe in almost everything unless proven wrong.

Again Guy, I am sorry. Let me know how to contribute. Windows on Haiti is ours, we need to keep it that way.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:13 am

No, man, there is no reason for you to feel any shame. The reasons that I mentioned Nekita's contribution are: first, that I wanted to applaud her; second, it should be obvious that I was trying to spur others to contribute something at this time to the relief effort for Gonaives and other areas where disaster struck in Haiti. At another time, I can send you the page where I provided all the information for donations to WOH. I removed it because it looked well, like I was begging for funds, and scarcely anyone was paying attention anyway. It is a very uneasy feeling for me, and yet this initiative has cost me a whole lot. However, this is not the time for me to ask for pledges. There are far greater needs, and I truly wish that more people would contribute to the relief effort instead of just talking about it.

Of course, just participating in the relief effort is not enough. I hope that we are all fully aware of the fact that thos
e hurricanes are part of a global weather pattern that is going to bring storms of increasing frequency to the area for many years to come (according to the scientific estimates I have read, anywhere from the next 10 to 46 years). So chances are (if we may even use the term chance), this will happen again to Haiti next year, the year after, the year after that, and so on... And as you know, we are not even out of the woods yet (no pun intended) this year, as the hurricane season lasts until late November. So, Haitians (among many other people) had better brace themselves for many more tragedies such as the ones they suffered this year. I think that they are, in one word, inevitable. However, look at how Cuba dealt with the advancing Hurricane Ivan, see how they protected themselves in spite of a punitive 40-year U.S. embargo that is intended to leave their government in constant financial crisis. Because they have something in abundance that we seriously lack in Haiti (I think it's called leadership), they
protected themselves just as well as Floridians did this season with a lot more resources available to the Staters. In Haiti, it seems that we just wait to get hit every single time. Well, we will not have to wait indefinitely, it WILL happen again and again.

So, Let's keep our focus on that for a while.

Thanks so much, man. You have contributed to WOH in other ways, as you have been a force behind a lot of our discussions.

PDower

Post by PDower » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:37 pm

In response to

<<
So chances are (if we may even use the term chance), this will happen again to Haiti next year, the year after, the year after that, and so on...
>>

In regard to the current weather pattern and that it looks to continue for more years, I have read at cnn.com that "el nino" in the Pacific Ocean is increasing and will hopefully counteract / reduce the increased hurricane pattern that you speak of. It made sense when I read it; let's hope that el nino breaks the pattern.

I feel so terrible and helpless for the plight of Haiti re Hurricane Jeanne. It's almost incomprehensible. I have sent $ aid through the U.S. Embassy. I understand my country has designated a large sum of aid for Haiti re Hurricane Jeanne . . I just don't know how it will be delivered, more important I don't know when.

Patricia
Massachusetts U.S.A.

admin
Site Admin

Update to HSNNE information

Post by admin » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:03 am

Patricia, I hope that you are right with respect to the counterbalancing effect of "El Nino". One should hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Here's an update to the HSNNE information:

PLEASE MAKE ALL CHECKS PAYABLE TO: HSNNE AND WRITE HAITI FLOOD RELIEF IN THE MEMO SPACE.

MAIL YOUR CONTRIBUTION TO HSNNE 140 PARIS AVENUE/ P.O. BOX 202 NORTHVALE, NEW JERSEY 07647-0202

CONTACT PEOPLE: Sr. Kay Coll (973) 648-0003
Or Georgette Delinois (201) 836-4738