CARICOM FAILS AGAIN! by Roger Milceus

Isabelle_

CARICOM FAILS AGAIN! by Roger Milceus

Post by Isabelle_ » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:02 am

CARICOM FAILS AGAIN!

It is extremely difficult for the CARICOM folks to get any traction on their attempt to investigate the events surrounding the resignation of Jean-Bertrand Aristide on February 29, 2004.

After failing to secure any support from the United Nations, the "righteous Aristide Army" thought that it would receive a more sympathetic treatment from the OAS. With Luigi Einaudi aka "Aristide's tchoul" well connected at the OAS, it should have been a cinch to get that body to launch its own investigation and hopefully uncover the conspiracy that drove Aristide out of power against his will.

Alas! This was not meant to be. Anyone who followed the debate live on May 27 on the Internet (isn't technology a beautiful thing?) would have learned the following:

1. CARICOM introduced a draft resolution calling for the application of Article 20 of
he Democratic Charter and for an investigation about the departure of Aristide WITHOUT sending, as a matter of diplomatic courtesy, a copy of the resolution to the Representative of Haiti, Mr. Duly Brutus.

2. Mr. Duly Brutus then introduced his own resolution, asking the Legal Department of the OAS to determine whether the OAS had any standing in acting on a procedure (the CARICOM request) that had already been rejected at the UN level. The Mexico representative, who chaired the session, asked for a recess so that the OAS lawyers could study the matter. Their conclusion was that, indeed, the OAS could NOT revisit an issue that had already been decided by the UN. Furthermore, UN resolution 1529 had basically established that Aristide had resigned and that Boniface Alexandre was the constitutional interim president of the country.

So here were our good ol' CARICOM folks "se retrouvant Gros Jean comme devant". The brains of 14 countries conspiring to make the life of their poor brethren, Haiti,
even more difficult had been outwitted by the Haiti representative fighting a lonely battle.

It seems that the doors have closed on that doomed mission. Of course, CARICOM will say that there is still the June 6-8 meeting in Ecuador where the issue will be brought up to the General Assembly. Not so fast! An article written in the online edition of the Dominican newspaper HOY (www.hoy.com.do) explains how little impact any such attempt by CARICOM will have:

"... La aplicación de la Carta Democrática Interamericana en Haití, especialmente su artículo 20, que implica una suerte de auditoría de la OEA sobre el proceso democrático, es también "un tema que se va a debatir" en la asamblea general de manera formal o informal, estimó el embajador peruano.

El proyecto de resolución que pide la aplicación de la Carta Democrática, impulsado por los países de la Comunidad del Caribe (Caricom), no fue aprobado sin embargo por el Consejo permanente de la OEA a raíz de la oposición de Estados Unidos
y de la representación de Haití.

Por eso el tema no puede ser debatido formalmente por los cancilleres, aunque durante la asamblea cualquier país puede tratar de incluir el tema en la agenda, dijeron fuentes de la OEA.

"Estamos en vías de (lograr) un texto consolidado" sobre Haití, dijo a la AFP el embajador paraguayo ante la OEA, Luis Enrique Chase Plate. "

For those of you who do not understand Spanish, the four paragraphs above state in essence that the application of the Democratic Charter to Haiti MAY be discussed formally or informally at the meeting. Since the draft resolution presented by CARICOM on May 27 was not adopted by the Permanent Council of the OAS, this topic cannot be discussed formally at the General Assembly. However, any country may try to include it on the agenda. Finally, the Ambassador of Paraguay to the OAS believes that there will be a consolidated statement on Haiti and nothing else.

If it really wants to be a thorn in the side of a Haiti that was comp
letely pillaged and sucked dry by Aristide and his cronies and is still reeling from devastating floods, then CARICOM will have to try much harder next time. Despite their claims of sophistication and their continuous __expression of superiority over us, poor and uneducated country bumpkins, the little procedural lesson that Brutus taught them shows that they need some sharper lawyers or diplomats or both. Speaking of which, why hasn't Antigua and Barbuda yet replaced Dr. Patrick Henry at the OAS? Isn't Antigua heading CARICOM? Yet they leave such an important post vacant?

I also find interesting, and very revealing, that it is only now that CARICOM would choose to invoke the Democratic Charter. When things were going very badly in Haiti last year, when Aristide had in effect used his power to eliminate almost all forms of democracy, it is that same CARICOM body that protected Aristide from the threat of other countries invoking that same Charter to Haiti. We should never forget that CARICOM's acti
ons actually encouraged Aristide to become even more of a tyrant because he thought he could get away with murder, which he did. We should never forget the role the Bahamas played in protecting Aristide.

A la revoyure.

Roger Milceus

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:23 pm

The failure of the International Community to investigate the events surrounding the resignation of Jean-Bertrand Aristide on February 29, 2004 is celebrated in this article as a triumph. And some of us just rush to say BRAVO!

This must be the Law of the International Mafia.

You pretend that you have nothing to hide and then you squash any attempt to take you on.

And some will rush to say BRAVO!

These imperial and servile roles replay themselves over and over...

We will not accept the authority of a World Court of Justice.

We will not accept any interference from the United Nations and will go it alone, unless of course they pass a resolution authorizing us to do exactly as we want.

We will not conform to any tradition of justice, because we are covered by the Patriot Act.

We will not testify under oath, nor will we allow such testimony to be recorded.

Our tortures
will be classified as mere abuses, and we are damn proud of the leadership under which they occurred.

We will arm, train, and unleash "freedom fighters" in territories to be subjugated.

We will create new articles of Law, superseding the Constitution, and those new articles shall be unchallenged.

We will deploy Marines to implement a coup d'etat and their grateful population shall acclaim their liberators.

We will groom and designate their leaders, and leave them jackassing for an electoral formula that shall perpetuate an illusion of independence.

We will declare that their President voluntarily submitted his resignation, but refuse to submit to any investigation of the matter.

We shall declare that such investigation is inappropriate because our reputation is above reproach.

We shall ignore any Democratic Charter, any International Court, any Constitution, any body of laws, because we say so.

And they shall applaud.

Because, Lafontaine said it
best, "La Loi du Plus Fort est Toujours La Meilleure." (Might Makes Right.)

It's the Law of the Jungle. Hip hip hooray!

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:40 pm

Mr Milceus/Isabelle F,
I really think that you are against Aristide. Let me tell you, we can share maybe one thing beside being Haitian, I did not support Aristide. But, let me tell you this, The man was elected DEMOCRATICALLY for a period of 5 years. I suppose it is better to have drug dealers and thugs than Aristide.

This is what is sickening. I assume that you think that Aristide is responsible for our misfortune and misery.

Where is Logic or Reason? That part I guess it's missing or you have a chronic amnesia!

The problem of Haiti was not and is not Aristide, but people like you who know how to read and write, I suppose.

Oh, I would like to know why is it possible for someone to even publish this article. I think Milceus is psychologically handicaped.

I am sorry guy. I had to use some bad words.

Sorry again, brothers and sisters.

Now, I can not breathe!