Aristide: Drug dealer and rapist? (NYT and Herald)

JustinFelux

Aristide: Drug dealer and rapist? (NYT and Herald)

Post by JustinFelux » Sun May 16, 2004 4:34 pm

The propaganda machine is heating up again.. probably to serve as de facto justification for the coup. this report from the New York Times desperately tries to link Aristide (once again) to the drug trade. This one from the Miami Herald attempts to accuse Aristide of using rape as a political weapon, along with gratuitious use of the word "chimère." My fingers are sore from writing so many angry letters to journalists for writing crap like this over the past few months. I have not gotten a single reply.

I guess this is what they call "projection." Like when white slaveowners built up myths about sex-crazed black men who were out to get w
hite women, when in fact it was the white slaveowners who practiced rape more than anyone else against their own female slaves.

I'm still not sure what to believe about the allegations against the Aristide government. I'm sure there were many Lavalas people, maybe even at high levels, involved in drug money. I don't believe Aristide himself was involved in it. I'm sure there were many street gangs that raped women, but how the hell do you blame that on the government?

Does Bush get blamed for the actions of the Ku Klux Klan just because most KKK members happen to be Republicans? Do the Democrats get blamed for all the murders in the inner-city because most people in the inner city happen to support the Democratic Party?

What I AM sure of is that Aristide and his supporters cannot hold a candle to the number of rapes, killings, and drug sales done by their opponents. So I see their allegations against Aristide and Lavalas as projection.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 16, 2004 7:01 pm

Justin, those are excellent observations and I commend you for your efforts. Unfortunately, Haiti's bad press is so deeply rooted and entrenched that it literally feeds on itself, with so many lazy reporters (and exotic thrill seekers, passing as reporters) contenting themselves with passing on their cliche-ridden stories to their jaded foreign desks, while sipping rum punches at the Oloffson and thinking about their next sexual conquests. For every Amy Goodman (Democracy Now), how many of that garden variety can you count?

Let's say that what I am writing here is a story to be published in a mainstream American newspaper. Then I am obliged to add that "Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere". And please note that I will never say that Haiti is the most "impoverished", as this would be considered tendentious, perhaps even seditious. Would any mainstream reporter, wishing to keep hi
s career in an upwardly mobile track, provoke people to think about the true reasons that some countries have gotten poorer all the time while others have gotten richer all at the same time?

Furthermore, if I were to be published by The Wall Street Journal (under the pseudonym of Mary O'Grady) or to write for our own "Haiti Observateur", then I would be obligated to add that Aristide eats babies and that he supplies most drugs to all the baddies in America.

Which causes me to think... when Bush and Cheney got drunk or used "recreational" drugs, was Aristide the guy that was pushing those drugs and urging them to drive? Hmm... a missed story. Someone should investigate.

JustinFelux

Post by JustinFelux » Sun May 16, 2004 7:32 pm

[quote]Which causes me to think... when Bush and Cheney got drunk or used "recreational" drugs, was Aristide the guy that was pushing those drugs and urging them to drive? Hmm... a missed story. Someone should investigate.[/quote]

I don't think Aristide was on the scene yet when those guys were getting high. However, Aristide may have been the guy who gave alcohol to Bush's daughters that time they got arrested. After all, isn't corrupting young white girls the only thing black men ever think about doing?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 16, 2004 10:10 pm

[quote]I don't think Aristide was on the scene yet when those guys were getting high.[/quote]Yeah, you're right, but still... it might have been one of Aristide's relatives. As for Bush's daughters, I wonder if any of them ever said "Daddy, I would like to enlist in the Armed Forces to serve the country that God entrusted you to lead to world domination." Perhaps one of them has, maybe even all of them (including their cousins). But if they did, no doubt their daddy reminded them that it is not nice to deprive minorities of such opportunities... and in any case, that they should prepare themselves (in style) to manage Uncle Jeb's likely run for the White House (who knows if loyal family friend Katherine Harris will be available in another four years?)

What an example of selflessness for the rest of the world to follow! But for now, let's get back to that rapist an
d drug dealer... our self-styled Head of State and de facto Prime Minister also called him "an inveterate liar" in front of an audience of reporters at the Harvard Club in Manhattan. Aristide should steal this occasion to prove his innocence by admitting that he is indeed a rapist and a drug dealer, by virtue of the fact that the PM has solemnly declared his inability to tell the truth. It's like if Clinton had said "I swear to you that I had sex with that woman...," the Republican bloodhounds would have been out in force to prove that Monica was still a virgin (and that Clinton was out not to soil her blue dress but her reputation).

Now imagine George W. going to any of the world's major cities, well...let's say even Baghdad (used to be major) and telling the press that his predecessor was "an inveterate liar". Nah... he has plenty of minions to do that for him. And besides, John Ashcroft has already exorcised the White House of all its demons, hasn't he? Last I heard, they took refuge in Abu
Ghraib.