Konpa trends

T-dodo

Konpa trends

Post by T-dodo » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:54 pm

Serge,

This is the first time I hear about Happy Birthday Haiti CD by "Mozayik." I will look for that one too.

Serge, talking about taste, my musical listening habit is a little bit similar to fashion. It's cyclical. My real passion is western classical music, which is why I have more CDs in classical than in any other style. In an effort to learn about American music, when I moved here I concentrated on learning about country music, rock, disco, blue grass, folks, etc. I had little exposure to them when I was living in Haiti. In the process, I listened to little Haitian music, even though from times to times friends of Haiti would bring me the latest of Strings, etc.

Almost, one year and a half ago, I stumbled on Ayiti Bang Bang of Carimi. The lyrics' metaphor for the situation in Haiti struck me so much that I decided to go back and see what the new generation of Haitian musicians are doing. I got stuck wit
h the musicians in their style for about one year and a half now. But, there were not many new creations like Ayiti Bang to come out during that period of time. The closest is the just released Geng Geng Geng of Konpa Kreyol, which is very creative in both their lyrics, arrangement and melodies. But the topic of the lyrics although different and innovative is about the same as Ayiti Bang Bang of Carimi. Zenglen "5 Etwal" CD is the one I had in mind for a review here. Perhaps, I will find time for it. With little worthy production to me in the popular Haitian Konpa music industry, there is plenty of room left for my music listening capacity. The timing of Policard is great from my standpoint. There are a lot of other efforts, as usual, in the Haitian Music Industry (HMI), but they have not managed to attract my attention.

I am now ready to explore the old styles I enjoyed a lot when I was living in Haiti, such as Amos Coulanges, Manno Charlemagne, etc. Your review is the catalyst for my desire to go in
to that exploration now.

Jean-Marie

admin
Site Admin

Konpa trends

Post by admin » Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:01 pm

Serge, are you sure you reviewed the "5 Etwal" CD by Zenglen that Jean-marie is talking about?

Looking back in the Chronique, I see your reviews of 3 Zenglen CD's: "Nou Pèdi Fren" (review #62), "Let it Groove" (review #50) and "Easy Konpa Direk" (review #27).

Did I miss something?

T-dodo

Konpa trends

Post by T-dodo » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:32 am

Serge/Guy,

I tried to go back to see the reviews. But, it seems, I could not go prior to September 2003, review#62. Perhaps, I am doing something wrong.

Serge, I have been listening on the Internet to a tune by Zenglen 1990, Fidel. Have you heard it? How old is it? There seems to be no other song released with it. Let me know if you wrote or knew anything about it.

Also, Orlane (Eric Virgal's duet partner) has a song, according to a website, called Gonaives. It is a beautiful song about Haiti. The funny thing is a French friend from Paris kept telling me she is from the Ile de la Reunion. I have difficulty to believe that someone not from Haiti can write such a song about Haiti. Perhaps, that is her style. She has a great one too about Nelson Mandela and Africa.

Anyway, Serge, just keeping you busy, man!

Jean-Marie

T-dodo

Konpa trends

Post by T-dodo » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:21 pm

Jaf,

You killed me, man! Are you implying I am 15 years behind the curve here? if this one came out in the early 1990s, I never heard Fidel until a few months ago! Boy, it is a nice tune. Perhaps, I should have paid more attention to Zenglen before. Also, you mentioned Larose's "Olala Mandela." I wonder if it is the same song I attributed to Orlane. Did a woman sing on it as well?

Jaf, about that effort with the new generation of Konpa with Zin and Zenglen you mentioned, I kind of agree with you that they fell short of expectations here. Certainly, Sweet Micky is not the banner bearer for that new era. To me, his music is just average, perhaps slightly better. But nothing to have made me going back to listening Konpa on a regular basis.

But, Jaf, I don't know if you missed the entrances of Carimi and Konpa Kreyol in the past four years. These two bands, particularly Carimi, sent me back to going to bal dancing
konpa again. They are very innovative and their studio work is superb. They rid Konpa music of that instrumental solo mentality which is the hallmark of American jazz. Instead, they use vocals and memorable short melodies throughout the five parts of the tunes: intro, vocal, solo, vocal, ending. Usually, the melodies involve no more than five notes combined on an instrument but repeated in various combinations. They are easy to hum and very listener friendly. In addition, the lyrics are deep and the CDs are full with sound effects. The latter reached its pinnacle with the introduction to Ayiti Bang Bang on the first CD of Carimi. For a sample of the quality of the lyrics, listen to Ki Mele'm on the previous Konpa Kreyol CD, and of course Ayiti Bang Bang of Carimi, or Nasty Biznis on their last album.

Jaf, the production is slow, however. Carimi latest CD, "Nasty Biznis," was issued in November 2003. Konpa Kreyol just came out with "Geng Geng Geng" album. Both Carimi albums have several good tunes on
them. While Konpa Kreyol's "Ki Mele'm" is very good, I have not bought his second album "Geng Geng Geng" yet. It has, of course, Geng Geng Geng on it which might be a good reason alone to buy the album. But, two other songs on it I heard on the Internet did not impress me. This latest Konpa Kreyol album was very controversial. It was the subject of many tabloid stories on HMI internet tabloid, Konpamagazine .com, involving Carimi and T-Vice. Very juicy!

Jean-Marie

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:03 pm

Serge,

You did such a great work with the reviews that I would not want to interfere with that. So, if you have time I would be glad to wait for you to do it.

Jean-Marie