Culinary Arts Institute
1 cup ice-cold water
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
Cold milk (about 1/4 cup)
Beef Filling (1/2 recipe)
1 egg yolk, beaten
1. Combine water and salt. Place flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Pour salted water into well and mix lightly with a spoon without kneading. Place dough in refrigerator 30 minutes.
2. Roll the dough into a rectangle 1/4 inch thick. Spread half the shortening on the dough. Fold one side over the middle and spread this section with the remaining shortening. Fold over the remaining section and again roll out to 1/4-inch thickness. Fold again into thirds and roll out. Repeat this rolling process a third time. Refrigerate dough overnight.
3. Roll the dough to about 1/2-inch thickness. Cut the dough into 2 1/2-inch rounds. Roll out trimmings to cut more
4. Place a tablespoonful of filling in the center of half the dough rounds. Brush the edges with milk. Cover with remaining rounds, lightly pressing the edges down. Brush the tops with egg yolk. Place the pâtés on a baking sheet with sides. Place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven.
5. Bake at 400 F 30 minutes, then turn the oven control to 300 F and bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 1 dozen pâtés.
1 post • Page 1 of 1