The Princess and the Frog

Guysanto
Site Admin

The Princess and the Frog

Post by Guysanto » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:07 pm

From the Bob Corbett List

They dragged me out of my lair this afternoon after nearly 2 days of total hibernation for a girls' night out at the movies. My sister, my daughter, my niece, her best friend and I went to see Disney's Princess and the Frog. Safe movie, right?...it's rated G and received Oprah's blessings. Well...the SHOCK of all SHOCKS was the depiction of Haitian Vodou as the representation of the DARK SIDE in this Disneyesque battle between good and evil. Baron Samedi in his full regalia was the personification of evil speaking in a French/Creole accent. His Emporium of Evil and Darkness was decorated with Veves, most prominently that of Ezili. To be politically correct, the good side of Vodou was represented by the toothless and ageless Mama Odee, who lived deep in the Bayou, spoke like a southerner, cooked some good Gumbo and entertained her guests with good old gospel music, choir and all.

I don't know what to say except that once again I felt violated and ambushed as a Haitian-American in a space I had assumed would be safe. When my niece's 10 year-old friend said "I don't like that evil vodou, it's black magic!" I lost it for a hot minute and I am still apologizing to the girl and her mother for yelling at the poor child.

My daughter, on the other hand, turned Malcom X on me, bitching and complaining throughout the movie about the princess and the prince's socio-economic status. "Not only do they have this ambitious black girl compromise her principles to save her business by kissing a frog/white man," she says "but for the first time in Disney history the white boy is POOR. She marries a white prince and it looks like she is the one who's going to support him..."

As we left the theater, my sister and I knew that it was not the girls' night out we had hoped for. We knew that the children were embarrassed and confused since they had recognized in "Baron's" Evil Emporium some of the Veves so prominently displayed in the artwork which adorns our homes. My 10-year old niece tried in her own sweet way to explain to her friend that Vodou is not about evil but represents another path to God.

We should have stayed home.

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 am

Interesting!
What's amazing, a lot of us, including Me, don't know anything about Vodoo!
Personally, I would think that there is a striking similarity between Vodoo and other Religions.
Mwen pa konn kijan pou'm t'a dekri yo. But, all Religions are based on Faith and Fairy tales...
Antouka, mwen t'a renmen al gade mouvi sa'a.
Leonel

Tayi

Post by Tayi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 pm

But, all Religions are based on Faith and Fairy tales...
Here we go again. :-)