My problem with Aristide

Hyppolite

My problem with Aristide

Post by Hyppolite » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:54 pm

Many have asked why I sometimes seem very suspicious of the hard, pro-Aristide wing of the Lavalas party. Well, the reason is simple. I know what I am about to say is controversial but I will anyway.

There are rumors that Preval may run for president. I hope not. I hope not because I believe that from a strategic standpoint, it is not good for Lavalas to return yet to the executive branch. I also think that there's much more to do at the legislative level, which I consider as a buffer, and I believe at this point that the left should simply give in, and let the right run the executive. Again, this is for strategic reasons and we won't debate this issue.

Nonetheless, one needs to follow Aristide's path in the current conjecture. Many among you believed at first that Aristide would advise Lavalas not to participate in the next elections. I always thought that he would have to b
e stupid to do so. Now, the truth is coming out. But that's not where the problem lies. Look at the potential disaster that we have in our hands now.

One has to respect Father Jean-Juste for his work with the poor and all. One has to condemn his detention which, at this point again, has become clearly illegal. How do you keep someone in prison for so long because of public clamor? But that's not the issue here.

The moment Aristide hears that Preval is considering running for elections, he starts pushing for Jean-Juste so they can free him and help him become president. Why? Unless one is totally blind, it is because Aristide knows that he can control Jean-Juste, much more so than someone like Yvon Neptune or Rene Preval.

I have never seen any politician, make moves that become evidence to his detractors. They've accused Aristide of being an autocrat, a man who likes to control-it-all, and now he is proving it.

Whatever one might say or think, it is
very clear that the press release was intended to see how he can help Jean-Juste alone regain his freedom so he can run and perhaps win the presidency.

I am no Lavalas-hater, no Titid-hater, or anything of that sort. But one needs to look at the reality and see how things are evolving in Haiti. It is very clear to me, that Aristide simply wants to be in control. That is probably why, as I suspect, he would never, ever favor a Preval presidency again.

Anyway, I just hope that Lavalas can get a good percentage of members in Parliament, and forget about the presidency for a while. This, to me, is strategic thinking but one may disagree. However, on the issue of control, it is shamefully clear that Aristide wants to control it all and thus, would prefer a Jean-Juste as president because he knows he can better control him.

Sad, sad.

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:56 am

Michel,

I don't have anything to tell you that you do not already know. According to transcripts from the corruption investigation headed by Paul Denis, a reputed anti-Aristide veteran, Neptune made it clear that the Minister of the Economy was a super ministre (his own words). These transcripts were posted here on WOH. You can read it as you wish. That alone should tell you, if you go back to it, the difficult relationship between Neptune and other ministers, with Aristide.

The issue with Preval was also clear. Preval never came out before or after Aristide II, to defend anything. Aristide and Preval seem to have grown apart. That's fine; this happens all the time in politics and no one should have expected Aristide to support a Preval presidency or vice-versa.

The problems are not there. It is with the fact that Aristide seems more interested in freedom for Jean-Juste, and basically nominate
d him, alone, as presidential candidate for the party. He never came out in support of Privert (jailed) or Neptune, or So Anne (both also jailed) with such force. That's depressing to me. Even if you have had problems with these individuals in terms of your and their politics, by virtue of them having been with you during the hard times of your second presidency, you would need to at least make it clear that they are very much your concern as political prisoners.

In any case, Jean-Juste would not be a good choice for Haiti, I think. Maybe you disagree. That's fine. Maybe most people disagree; that's fine too. If he or anyone else becomes president of Haiti during the next elections, we will all have, I believe, to bite our tongue and play by the rules. Please understand that my disagreement here with the Aristide position is based strictly on policy issues and orientation. It has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the person. It is strictly policy-based. I hope my co
mments are not misused, as those of a Aristide-hater. Far from that. As I said before, if we don't have the courage to challenge leaders from all sides regarding their political direction, we will keep on failing the nation.

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:24 am

I don't think Preval is/was running. I think it's a way to galvanize the electorate. This makes good press and does not bother Preval either, in any way, shape, or form.

It would be a tragic mistake for Lavalas to have Jean-Juste as their presidential candidate. I respect the man and hope he can continue his good work for the poor; he is a voice to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, he has no political experience one can speak of, and has very little experience with politics. This is what I suspect:

1- When all is clear, Neptune will be freed and so will be others like Jean-Juste;
2- Those in power will keep Neptune and Jean-Juste especially in jail, until they're sure that those guys cannot run, by law. In other words, only after the time has passed for those two to present their candidacy.

Either way, the political equation is being reshuffled. Those who have
enough guts can and should run for office, especially local and parliamentary elections. That's where the true battle will be for the next three to five years. Leave the presidency for those on the right. Hopefully, Simeus will not be elected. That would be tragic. They would eat him alive down there, as I am sure they're preparing to. The best scenario (I'm being sarcastic now) would be for Baker to win the presidency with an adversarial (not inimical, adversarial) Parliament. But my hope in truth, is for someone who cares about the Haitian people, from the right or the left, to become the next president of Haiti. I firmly believe that Lavalas should not try to win the presidency. That would be another mistake.

Call me crazy but that's how I see it.