Question to you, the reader: Should the U.S. ... or not?

admin
Site Admin

Question to you, the reader: Should the U.S. ... or not?

Post by admin » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:37 am

In the wake of this extraordinary tragedy that has revealed TO MOST AMERICANS (and all other nations) the Thirld World within the U.S., Fidel Castro (Cuba) offered to send 1,100 medical doctors to the ravaged areas, along with tons of medication, while Hugo Chavez (Venezuela) offered cheaper fuel to help with the recovery.

We understand the special difficulty in accepting these offers from two Latin American leaders who have been openly hostile to the U.S. government (though not to its people), in response to the U.S. government's own open hostility towards them.

It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that those offers will even be considered with any seriousness, let alone accepted. However, since you are not the U.S. government, my question is to you, the reader: At times like these, should there be a way to set domestic and inter
national politics aside, to cease the hostilities (on a temporary basis, at least), and make it possible for extraordinary acts of international solidarity and human fraternity to take place?

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:24 am

Well my answer is yes.

They can criticize the US, but, they are not his enemy.

As a matter of fact, they were telling the truth.

Now,if you were dying, and someone offers his help. Would you care if he or she talked bad about you?

You decide,

leonel

Cali Ruchala

Re: Question to you, the reader: Should the U.S. ... or not?

Post by Cali Ruchala » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:21 pm

This is an interesting topic that deserves more time than I have to devote to it, but...

There have been three moments that the United States enjoyed incredible cachet in the world, two of them in my lifetime.

The first was after WW2 and the liberation of Western Europe and many areas of Asia. Many formerly captive nations looked at the United States as almost a disinterested benefactor. Ho Chi Mihn and Mao sent letters to Washington asking for recognition. While the case of the Chinese is far more complicated than a simple letter, the fact is that both were ignored (or, actually, worse: State Department officials sabotaged the effort and the letters never received their intended recipient, Harry Truman.) There wasn't a Marshall Plan for that part of the world: just a continuing war.

The second was in 1991, after the end of Communism. Unfortunately, if you poll mos
t Russians today, they regard our response to it as rather a pillage and a triumph. Much of the aid was in fact a thinly disguised welfare bonanza for American companies, particularly in the case of food aid (which Russia did not want nor need, as they have never had trouble growing enough food to feed themselves).

The third was after 9/11. What happened then, and what we did with that goodwill and incredible outpouring of sympathy is well-known.

Katrina might be such an event. Among human beings, a tragedy often brings adversaries together, but people are not governments, because governments don't learn from their mistakes (whether people do or not, they at least have the capability...)

So yes, I would, and no, I have no confidence that our government will. And it's sad, because the situation with Venezuela is spiraling out of anyone's control, and it doesn't have to be that way.