Gonaïves (2004), New Orleans (2005), warnings of Nature?

admin
Site Admin

Gonaives (2004), New Orleans (2005), warnings of Nature?

Post by admin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:10 am

I do not want to editorialize here. First, I wish to express my sympathies to the victims of Katrina. The images coming on television yesterday and today are horrific. It appears like the devastation suffered last year by Gonaives, Haiti's City of Independence, visited on the United States. The economic impact will be great and felt by all of us. The emotional impact suffered by the disrupted lives will be even greater.

Inevitably, some people will speak of divine retribution. I do not. However, I do worry that all of this devastation from natural disasters, that seems to become more frequent in recent years (not a scientific claim, but a subjective one), may come as a consequence of humanity's overall mismanagement of our natural resources. I may be wrong, but I can't help the feeling.

On a personal note, I immediately think about my son, a member of the National Guard
, currently serving in Iraq. I know how he would feel today, if he were home, for having shared with him the terrible attacks of 9/11/2001. I remember his tears and the call he made the same day to his commander, volunteering to help in any way he could. I wish that today he were in a position to go and help the people of Louisiana and Mississippi, or at least volunteer to do so as a National Guard, instead of being trapped in a war of which the benefits to humanity can only be seen through the eyes of the governments of U.S. and England, and very few else.

I did not set out to editorialize, so I will stop here.

I can sense the devastation. I also recall that many Haitians have migrated to New Orleans in recent years (and the migration from Haiti to Louisiana really started more than 200 years ago). While the Haitian community in New Orleans is not as large as that of other cities in the U.S., such as Boston, New York, Miami, etc, I am sure that today quite a few Haitian families have their
sorrows confounded with those of American families.

With tearful prayers for all those affected, and my wishes to all for a solid recovery, economically but above all else, spiritually.

Gelin_

Re: Gonaives (2004), New Orleans (2005), warnings of Nature?

Post by Gelin_ » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:04 pm

[quote]...Inevitably, some people will speak of divine retribution. I do not. However, I do worry that all of this devastation from natural disasters, that seems to become more frequent in recent years (not a scientific claim, but a subjective one), may come as a consequence of humanity's overall mismanagement of our natural resources. I may be wrong, but I can't help the feeling.[/quote]
You are right, Guy. I believe it has been scientifically documented that natural disasters have become more frequent and stronger over the past few decades. The sad part of the picture is that most disasters are not only the direct result of our collective mismagement of our resources, but they are also entirely preventable in the scope and magnitude of the damages.

gelin