Word Power and Social Contract

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:19 pm

[quote]...In this regard vocabulary is an important element.</B> For instance, it is not without cause that the Canadian Ambassador to Haiti, Claude Boucher turned red when a room full of Haitians refused to concede to his claim that the overthrow of President Aristide was not a coup d'état or that Haiti is not current under occupation. These folks know the power of words.</B>[/quote]

So true! And most people play with words as if they had no effect on their reality. The truth of the matter is that everything we see with our eyes came out of words either spoken or written, by us or by other people.

It's not by chance that Dessalines said his land was to be called Haiti, and no longer St-Domingue. Dessalines knew that the word Haiti, besides its descriptive meaning, also meant freedom and the end of slavery/colonialism in the new world. Haiti is where it's at today not because of guns an
d weapons, although they played their part in the symphony, but mostly because of words spoken AND BELIEVED AND REPEATED AGAIN AND AGAIN during the weeks and months leading to 2004. Forgive me to bring this one back, but one phrase that captivated many like commercials on tv was the famous "new social contract"....:-!

<I>"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."</I> - Proverbes 18:21

gelin