Canada and Haiti

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:59 am

I'll still say this. The removal of Aristide from the political scene didn't make things better. In fact, things got worse but that's no longer the issue. Jafrik and many others may get angry but at least my conscience is clear: Aristide was warned, at least a year earlier during his second term, that short of taking actions to get his house/government in order, the constitutional argument would eventually get muted because all along, he knew as everyone else did, that they wanted him not to finish his term. Of course he thought that those who made such statements publicly were against him. So as far as I am concerned, the only potent and worthy analysis at this point regarding Aristide, is the one that wasn't done after the removal of Estimé from power in 1950. There need to be analysis as to what went wrong, there need to be analysis as to why the vast majority of people in the Diaspora simply didn't care as m
uch after Aristide's second removal from power. These are the sorts of questions we should ask ourselves, not whether or why Canada, France, and the US were involved in Aristide's removal.

If we don't analyze those sorts of issues, the removal of any popularly elected leader in the future will occur over and over and over again.

That's all I'll say, Jafrik, and I am sure you disagree with me based on all your previous writings.

Best to you

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:00 pm

Jafrik. First to your questions, the answers are already known. Aristide was overthrown with the complicity of France (the master of it all), and conservatives at the US State Dept. But Jafrik, let's first establish something simple: Haitians were the ones who begged for his removal; Haitian politicians who look like you, and I, and also like white America and mulatto America (as you like to discuss "white" in these issues).

The problem is first and foremost, therefore, our problem, ourfault, ourresponsibility. The thirst for power and all else have made it possible for those who didn't like Aristide in the international community, to overthrow him. Canada came much later.

England today is the victim of a terrorist attack. England will react and many wil be killed. But Haiti is not England. Haiti is a screwed up country where we fight for power collectively without even und
erstanding first and foremost, the true meaning of power. That's the problem; that's our problem. That's why we've been going backward for more than 200 years.

We can go around and around and accuse the world of all our problems. But we must first be willing and able to look deep into ourselves, into our lives, our history to see where the devil's coming from. No amount of yelling will help; no amount of international financial aid will help. That's the truth. You and many others may rightfully point to the international as a culprit, but they are not the only culprit. WE, Haitian politicians, business people, intellectuals, decent people, moderates, poor, and all, are the first responsible for our mistake now, and before. We have to stop blaming them.

After all, the hands that manage to overthrow Aristide, the hands that pulled the deadly triggers were all Haitian hands.
Let's just remember THAT!!

Hyppolite

Post by Hyppolite » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:15 pm

Marilyn,

I am sorry to say this: justice is not fairness but a way to get as close to fairness as possible. Only God, or Nature is fair (depending on your belief).

If you go to a bank for a loan, and have assets over 1 million $US, and I go for the same loan and same amount, but having no asset, you will get the loan before I shall. That's basic economics 101. True and factual. Those who have get more and those who don't have need to work at least ten times harder to get the basic.

Comparing the Bush and the Aristide situations is unfair. Bush is from a stable country with a democratic tradition. Aristide is from an unstable country with a corrupt and autocratic tradition. It's a country with no solid structure. Therefore, unless he and his staff in government, and those working for the State were willing to make things better in terms of democratic structure and all, it was a no-brainer that they would have overthrown hi
m.

All the odds were against him in the first place. So, all the opposition had to do, was to accuse him of being a dictator or one in the making. So in a sense, using the very fact that Haiti had no democratic tradition, they manage to overthrow an elected leader because in fact, they disliked him and what he represented.

We, who are from there and knew enough about Haiti's history, could see the signs beforehand. You may disagree but those of us who said the same, may have been dismayed but were not surprised when Aristide was overthrown.

I simply believe, that those who supported the Lavalas ideal made a crucial mistake over the last year, by not trying to figure out what really went wrong, and try to get back into the game, better this time. They lost a tremendous opportunity, so did all Haitians. Each and every single Haitian lost in that process. That's what angers me when people keep on talking about Titid, as though we should get stuck there and no
t see that there's more that can be done for the better.

Look what's happened since then. All the kidnappings going on are being now portrayed as a Lavalas thing. Because the most vocal pro-Lavalas leaders and intellectuals use radical language, they easily make it appear as though Lavalas is responsible for all the crimes and murders being committed in Haiti.

One final thing, Marilyn: my experience taught me this, although I consider myself still as a young man: Politics done based on anger is bound to fail overtime. If you want to succeed and do the right thing in politics, especially in Haitian politics, never let them see you sweat.