Haïti: Les Marines pour une 3e mission en 10 ans

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:44 pm

[quote]“I will put my foot in your ass” for one nickel.

Ta le'm pa “foot” ou ou kout pie nan bouda ou pou dis komb.

And the young Haitian boys after being kicked so much in his butt the soldiers responded by saying. “My foot smells your ass”.

Pie misie santi mayas [my ass].

Now the US Army has changed for the better. My son, [xxxx], and many well Haitians and minority immigrants are in the US Army. Some of them as you know are high ranked Officers.
[/quote]
I found the quote above quite disturbing, as Michel makes light of an extremely serious situation. I would have preferred not to read it again, and yet here I am highlighting it in lieu of editing it out. The reason is that I somehow believe that we must expose the sores if we ever expect them to heal.

I only took the liberty of removing the reference to my son in Michel's specious argument about how great the U.
S. Army is. Michel, personally I feel that you have been brainwashed. But this is not truly the forum category to take our differences on a personal level. Let me just say, however, that I would appreciate it very much if you no longer cite my son as a tool for anything resembling propaganda for the murderous foreign policy of the United States.

[quote]We are NOT in 1915 anymore. This is uncalled for Jaf! You shouldn't have brought those painful memories up again! [/quote]
I really do not get it. First, you bring out some cockamamie story, probably peddled on street corners, about the origin of the term "mayas", which is even less believable (!!!) than the one you told earlier about how Jean Dominique invented the term "zenglendo". Then you fault Jaf for bringing out "painful memories". Just what is so painful, Michel??? Is it the recall of something that is very historic, the 1915 U.S. Occupation (which every true Haitian National has a DUTY TO LEARN more a
bout) or is it that ridiculous story of American soldiers kicking Haitian youths in their posterior? It seems that you prepared your own "bouillon", then found it indigestible, and then want to blame someone else for what goes in your own imagination. Positively weird!

[quote]As you may have noticed, I usually refrain from speaking about this particular issue because I know how tragic it is for the family of our own friend and host who - as we speak have his beautiful son facing the greatest danger in that stupid war he has done so much to denounce. [/quote]

Jaf, my son is keen on honoring his commitment to the Armed Forces. However, I can assure you that he does not subscribe to the bullshit. Others might have decided otherwise, but I respect my son's decision. One thing that I want you and everyone else to understand however is to please not try to spare me any pain. My greatest grief has been in the contemplation of our
near-silence (speaking of the citizenry of the United States, and I am one of its citizens) in face of the genocidal policies carried out by the Bush administration in Iraq, in Haiti, and elsewhere. If anyone would like to honor me and to honor my son, please SPEAK OUT against the follies of our times. What the U.S. did in Iraq is terribly wrong. What the U.S. did in Haiti is terribly wrong. And to borrow Michel's colorful language, the U.S. Marines (as a symbol of the big stick deployed by U.S. Presidents) have been kicking our ass in Haiti for a very long time. While one may choose to worry about the memory of smelly boots, I worry much at the sight of blood, spilling out of faceless nameless innocent people including children, that is spilled out quite aggressively in Belair and Cité Soleil.

[quote]But, Michel, your latest intervention bothers me. Because, it continues to prop up this propaganda that has made so many of us become desensitized to the reality of th
ese senseless and racist wars.[/quote]
The propaganda is no longer working as smoothly as they had hoped. Of course, we must continue to denounce those injustices as insistently that we can. I can see evidence however, that some people are finally waking up from their torpor. While we cannot help being emotional as human beings, we must continue to be very rational in debunking the propaganda, until the supporters of wars in the Middle East and foreign interventions in Haiti will not find even a fig leaf to cover their money-grabbing, power-grabbing, ambitions.

[quote]It is no video game, nor is it the olympics. Those medallions that are distributed at the end of the killing spree are handed out by cowards and hypocrites who started these wars but never themselves had to suffer their consequences. We need to stop this anti-life, pro-mass destruction propaganda instead of fueling it.[/quote]
That is absolutely right.

[quote]As for the situation at home. we will continue to speak up. But, we know, many are our brothers and sisters who want to believe in Santa Claus. So they will cheer the marines as they land. But, they cannot stop us from expressing our own views on this announced tragedy.[/quote]
And thank you for that!

But it all starts with education... If one truly wants to learn about the worst of the U.S. offenses in Haiti in 1915, one should read the series of articles I made available in the History section of this website. Then one may study what exactly has been U.S. policy towards Haiti from 1804 to 2005, via 1915-1934.

Ignore the lessons of History at your own risk.