Homosexuality and Christianity

Gelin_

Homosexuality and Christianity

Post by Gelin_ » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:34 am

To Be Gay...and Christian? Mel White's Bizarre Campaign

A prominent gay activist is taking his Equality Ride campaign to America's Christian campuses—to call for schools to change their policies on homosexuality.

At one time in his career, Mel White served as a ghostwriter for the most influential Christian leaders in the country including Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and Billy Graham. At the same time he was working for these evangelical institutions, White—who was married with two children—struggled with his sexuality.

He finally decided to divorce his wife and enter into a gay relationship, a process he described as “taking the first steps toward integrity” in his 1994 biography Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America.

Today, White and his partner, Gary Nixon, are waging a propaganda war from their California headquarters. They want America's Christian college students to embrace homosexuality as a normal lifestyle.

White's campaign is called the Equality Ride, and it is driven by an organization he founded called Soulforce. The campaign involves 35 young adults who began a national tour of 19 Christian colleges and universities on March 10, including a number of Pentecostal schools. The activists have already stopped at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla., (where school officials and police barred them from the campus) and at Lee University in Cleveland, Tenn., (where riders were denied a public forum).

On March 31, Soulforce planned to stage a protest outside the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities convention in Dallas. And riders will stop at North Central Bible College, an Assemblies of God school in Minneapolis, on April 17.

Soulforce's goal is clearly stated on its Web site: “Never before have young activists banded together to challenge homophobia at the institutions that are largely responsible for GLBT discrimination.” (GLBT, by the way, stands for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender.)

Soulforce has employed intriguing tactics to get out their message. At Lee University, they scheduled a concert with the pop group Jason and DeMarco. The musical duo includes Jason Warner, a Lee graduate who freely talks about his Pentecostal upbringing. He and his partner DeMarco DeCiccio have appeared on the cover of the gay magazine Advocate and have performed at numerous pro-gay events including the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Awards.

Get the message? “You can be gay and Pentecostal! Come join us!”

White and his young disciples have targeted Christian schools because they don't tolerate homosexual behavior. Haven Herrin, co-director of the event, told Charisma: “We do not question a private institution's right to choose to enforce a discriminatory policy. Making these choices is fully within a school's right, but we do see the choice to discriminate as a decision with moral weight.”

That is a slick argument. Soulforce uses terms such as “rights,” “discrimination” and “moral” to twist reality. Wrong becomes right. Right becomes wrong. A lot of Americans fall for that kind of doublespeak.

Thankfully, administrators on these campuses have been gracious in their dealings with Soulforce. At Azusa Pacific University, officials allowed the protesters a limited time for discussion and then used the dialogue to reinforce their conservative position. Nobody threw rocks or hurled epithets—which would have only created sympathy for the Soulforce riders.

Officials at Wheaton College in Illinois told Charisma that they will host a forum on homosexuality. They will then use the platform to stress “why Wheaton's stance will not change from the historical stance of the church,” said campus spokesperson Tiffany Self.

Jerry Falwell, founder of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., said the Soulforce riders will not be welcome on his campus, and he accused them of not acting in good faith. Soulforce, he said, “is simply trying to use such encounters on Christian college campuses as a media attraction and for their ultimate purpose of fundraising.”

How should we respond? These gay young people don't need to be vilified, and campus officials are smart to avoid ugly confrontations. If anything, we should use this as an opportunity to demonstrate that Christians don't hate gay people because, after all, many Christians have struggled themselves with that sin—and found grace to overcome it through the power of the Holy Spirit.

But we also need to make it clear to Mel White that he is fighting a losing battle. I can say this with authority because I have two daughters who attend a Pentecostal college in Georgia. Nobody is going to impose immoral standards on my kids while I'm paying their tuition.

Earth to Mel White: Christians are not going to rewrite the Bible or our campus moral guidelines just because you decided one day that it was “a step toward integrity” to leave your wife for a man. Shame on you for luring impressionable young adults into this deception.

J. Lee Grady is the editor of Charisma and an award-winning journalist.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:08 am

Gelin, what do you think of Homosexuality?
Is it part of the Gospel?
How would God see Homosexuality?
Is God Homophobic (Sodome et Gomore)?
This is a question for everyone, not my good Brother Gelin only.
We can even go further. How do the Haitian Communities deal with Homosexuality???
I cannot wait to get the answers...
leonel

Tidodo_

Post by Tidodo_ » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:47 pm

Gelin,

If it's allright with you, I would also like to ask you a question on that subject since from what I understand you are in the field of genetics. Is there a genetic link found yet to homosexuality? Please expand on any findings or studies made on that issue.

J-M.

Widy_

Post by Widy_ » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:09 am

Se vwe menm, gen makounmè a kaz a yo kon tilili, sa ka fè chen pa bò yo.

Swa dizan yo se moun a bondye e yo ap preche pou amoni pou lafanmi, men pannansitan pli gwo makounmè ki ni se yo.

Mwen konnen oun lo pa bò yo, ki gen gran rèsponsabilite nan legliz, kon sa ki gen gran diplôm mizik, e yo ni tout biten pou èt moun ere, men malerèzman se makounmè yo ye.

Byen souvan ou oblije koupe tout rèlasyoun travay èvè yo piskè se pa moun sen yo ye e gen plen moun ki pè voye ti moun yo pa bò yo.

Se se jan dè vye moun malsen la sa ki ka foure ti nèg an vis, kougnamanman-yo menm.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:32 pm

leonel, I can answer only some of your questions..

[quote]Gelin, what do you think of Homosexuality?[/quote]
It's a lifestyle that deviates from the original purpose of creation: one man - Adam, and one woman - Eve (not Steve...:-). But people can do whatever they want with their life. I am not the judge, God is.

[quote]Is it part of the Gospel?[/quote]
Far from it. Here is one example:

<I>For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.</I>
- Romans 1:21-27.

[quote]How would God see Homosexuality?[/quote]
If you are referring to the God of the Bible, well, he sees homosexuality as a sin against him, against the human body, and against nature; But he makes the difference between the sinful behavior (which he does not approve) and the sinner (whom he wants to redeem):

<I>Let the wicked forsake his way and the evil man his thoughts. Let him turn to the LORD, and he will have mercy on him, and to our God, for he will freely pardon. - Isaiah 55:7.</I>

But, leonel, you'll have plenty of time to ask God all kinds of questions when you meet him...:-)

gelin

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:44 am

Correct me if I'm wrong?
Mr God does not really like that lifestyle! Remember how HE destroyed Sodome and Gomorre (forgive my spelling)!
Which he regrets by the way. For, he is not going to use Fire or Flood after seeing the effects of these disasters!!!!
One thing that People don't know, God loves to experiment. He tried a few things without knowing their outcomes :D
What is the original purpose of Man and Woman?
Is birth Control a Sin?
What about the ones who cannot conceive???
Gelin said,[quote]
But, leonel, you'll have plenty of time to ask God all kinds of questions when you meet him...:-)

[/quote]
I doubt it. The guy is hiding! Noone haven't seen Him! That is why I am asking one of his servants about Him.
Are you referring to the pitit God or the papa God?
Papa did not forgive, He destroyed!!! :x
leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:16 am

Keep on topic, Leonel. I believe the subject matter is "Homosexuality" and Christianity".

I wonder if Gelin would elaborate on this phrase: Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts.

It took an action of God to make previously heterosexual men lust for other men, and previously heterosexual women lust for other women???

The better to condemn them for previous acts of idolatry?

"gave them over" is an active verb, Gelin!

Ay Caramba! Is this the basis of your Christian faith?

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:19 am

Guy: the basis of my faith is WHAT Jesus taught and did. The text of Romans 1, I offered it as a response to leonel's question. leonel asked whether or not homosexuality is/was part of the gospel.

leonel: you asked about God whom no one has seen yet. One of Jesus' disciples asked him the same question:

[quote]<I>Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Don't you believe</b> that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

Believe</b> me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. </I>- John 14:8-11.[/quote]
You see, the whole issue is about believing what he said. Some did, others just walked away from him, thinking he was delusional, crazy, or under demonic influence. At one point, he turned to the few who remained with him and asked them why they had not left also. I count myself among those who believe. But I am trying to make the difference between what he said and what others have wrongly said and done in his name. I make the difference between Jesus and self-proclaimed believers...

gelin

Tidodo_

Post by Tidodo_ » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:01 am

[quote]Gelin,

If it's allright with you, I would also like to ask you a question on that subject since from what I understand you are in the field of genetics. Is there a genetic link found yet to homosexuality? Please expand on any findings or studies made on that issue.

J-M.[/quote]

Gelin,

I am sorry, but disregard my question as you already answered it to me on February 7. The thing is, because this question is still unsettled for me, I seem to be looking for answers whenever an opportunity comes up. But, I must admit that your answers of February 7 have been the most balanced I heard so far.

J-M.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:10 am

J.M.,

I wanted to go back and find the previous exchanges we had on the same topic. I am glad you found them. Yes, our genetic make up determines who we are but our environment (natural, educational, religious, social...) plays a critical role as well.

gelin