Jesus on trial - again?

Gelin_

Jesus on trial - again?

Post by Gelin_ » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:19 pm

I find this article rather interesting, particularly because of the possible consequences of the debate:

[quote]Italian court to decide whether Jesus lived</B>

...An Italian court is tackling Jesus — and whether the Roman Catholic Church may be breaking the law by teaching that he existed 2,000 years ago.

The case pits against each other two men in their 70s who are from the same central Italian town and even went to the same seminary school in their teenage years.

The defendant, Enrico Righi, went on to become a priest writing for the parish newspaper. The plaintiff, Luigi Cascioli, became a vocal atheist who, after years of legal wrangling, is set to get his day in court later this month.

“I started this lawsuit because I wanted to deal the final blow against the Church, the bearer of obscurantism and regression,” Cascioli told Reuters...

More: http://www.msnbc.msn.
com/id/10712047/from/ET/
[/quote]

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:32 pm

Hmm... What are the odds?

Interesting article!

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:56 am

Some people are already talking about similar moves in the US. There are a few books written along the same line in an attempt to PROVE that Jesus never existed. The reasoning is that if he never really lived, then his teachings are not really his teachings and therefore have to be discarded as fables. I think that the motivation for such efforts can be found partly in a sort of reaction to all the wrongs that have been done in the name of Christ over the last 2,000 years.

gelin