Trapped in a man's body

admin
Site Admin

Trapped in a man's body

Post by admin » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:31 am

My next door neighbor had a grandson (yes, I mean “had”). I knew “him” since he was 11 years old. Even then, "he" was exceedingly effeminate in his manners and interests. But every year that went by made things “worse”. My family was practically the only one on the block that accepted him for what he was, and both my sons and daughter befriended him. Until that is, his last year of high school, when he started acting like a hyperactive flirt (though he always denied being a homosexual… once when I questioned him about his activities, he responded that he did not consider himself homosexual at all; he had boyfriends, but that was only because he was a “special woman”). At that time, his name was John. Then he dropped out of high school, just a few months shy of completion (what a fool!) and got a job in Manhattan as a strip-tease artist in a gay bar. Apparently, he made lots of money! But he was clearly unhappy. He started telling me about his plans to undergo a sex change operation. I could not really hear about it, but I forced myself to be patient and to hide the fact that he increasingly repulsed * even * me! He was rejected at home, and my house was his solace from bigotry. Finally, he moved with a boyfriend and I gradually stopped hearing from him. He had changed his name to Anna-May. “She” visited a couple of times, with very long (natural) and straight hair, going down to mid-back, dresses, fake breasts, lipstick, eye shadows, and all sort of facial makeup. That was before the surgery. “She” invited me to look at pictures of “her” dancing in those strip-tease joints, and I had to refrain myself from kicking “her” out. The worst moment came when “she” had come to visit in tight fitting jeans (I did not dare look at what “she” really looked like at the crotch) with a low cut blouse and “frankly gorgeous” and extremely feminine facial look. We talked nicely at the door for a few minutes (I was happy that my children were not in and that therefore, there was no need for me to invite “her” in). But when she left, that is when I noticed the very low cut jeans in the back and the crack of “her” butt in full display. That's when I decided that was it for me! I would not allow “her” in my house again!

A couple of years passed, and I scantly heard of him. That was fine by me, except that once in a while, I felt like I wanted to know that he was alive and healthy. Having known him for over ten years, I really cared about that. As long as he was healthy, I could then safely put him out of my mind. I still wished him to have a decent life, in spite of all the weirdness about him.

But the other day, my housekeeper, who is a radical Christian homophobic and who vents against "Sodom and Gomorrah" every time she gets a chance, let her in, having been completely fooled about who she really was. Note that I stopped putting ‘she' and ‘her' in quotes. The transformation was PHYSICAL and COMPLETE. She has become a beautiful looking woman, tall and slender as “he” used to be, with all traces of masculinity erased. She had changed her name once again to Jennifer. She was visibly much happier. Even though I had sworn not to let her in my house before, because of her indecency in clothing, I was genuinely happy to see her again (for a minute or two) and relieved that she had not succumbed to AIDS, as I always feared for her. But then she started telling me about her operations, and the pleasure of seeing her quickly evaporated. The last thing a man wants to hear about is penis removal. Ouch! And then all the reconstructive surgery to transform someone “God created Male” (according to my housekeeper, who cannot console herself about letting her in and is still under shock for having been fooled by someone she had known for many years) into a Female. I took it in stride, but sincerely I could not bear to hear about the surgery. I probably sent the right facial signals, because she mercifully kept it short. All I can say is that I am glad she looked healthy, happy, and yes… beautiful! Quite clearly, she had been all along a woman trapped inside a man's body. Why does Nature (or God) allow such cruel mistakes? But of course, to my housekeeper, God does not make mistakes. Now that John has fully transformed into Jennifer, “he” is beyond God's forgiveness, unless somehow he could revert back to being a man, which is quite impossible, I am afraid. In any case, I have a much, much more generous view of God who is above all such petty human considerations of sexual attributes. Certainly, I prefer it when male is male and female is female, but that is not very scientific, is it? Masculinity and femininity occur on a continuous scale, and most of us are just “lucky” to be clearly on one side of the scale or the other. However difficult it could be for us to accept it, we should be tolerant of those people who are trapped in the body of the opposite sex.

After all, aren't we all God's children?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:21 am

Well, do our Bible scholars have any opinion on cases like this?

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:36 am

It's a tough issue, but I was looking at another aspect of it:
[quote]...Masculinity and femininity occur <U>on a continuous scale</U>, and most of us are just “lucky” to be clearly on one side of the scale or the other...[/quote]
I am not completely sure about that statement.

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:41 am

Well, most of us consider ourselves 100% male or 100% female, but I am sure that there is a feminine side of me and there is a feminine side of you too, Gelin. It basically depends on accepted notions of "masculinity" and "femininity" and however you choose to define them, you soon discover that males (penis-sporting individuals) do not have any sort of exclusivity on masculine attributes. Margaret Thatcher had balls of iron, and so does Condoleeza Rice (though hers may be hardened petroleum derivatives). And many guys are tender, charming, intuitive and occasionally quite effeminate in their manners.

And even if you approach this issue from a biological, scientific standpoint, the issue of duality of sex is not clearly applicable to all human beings. Quite a number of individuals are born with an extra X chromosome. If we define males as being the XY variety and females to be XX, then what to make of those XXY individuals (and possibly other variants). Should we label them, neither male nor female, but a third sex: mistakes of God?

Yes, I do stand by my statement that masculinity and femininity occur on a continuous scale and we are distributed all along that scale, regardless of traditional religious views on the matter.

My objective here is to present this specific case of John/Anna-May/Jennifer (not the real name of the individual in question) and my personal attitude and reaction to him/her as a human being and my housekeeper's own attitude and reaction to him/her which is grounded in her biblical and religious views.

I wanted to lay bare my feelings, not in the abstract, but in a concrete way, because after we all read the sacred books of indoctrination, we are faced with the complex realities of this world, which often are not addressed (except in the vaguest possible terms) in your teachings. So, once again, I put the challenge at the feet of all who would like the world to conform to their religious indoctrination. Let's talk about some real and complex cases, which are truly all around us, if we are willing to look hard enough.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:34 am

[quote]...I wanted to lay bare my feelings, not in the abstract, but in a concrete way...[/quote]
I understand your approach to the question. It's a difficult one for me also and I would not try to be dogmatic about it. I am comfortable keeping quiet when I don't see clearly on a particular subject.

On one side you may find people who claim that if such profound changes can be made to your physical bodies then that should be the end of all religious teachings about sexual morality, for example. On the other hand, you may find believers who claim that those who perform such changes on themselves can no longer be redeemed...

On a practical standpoint, as a believer, I MUST love every single human being I can meet, simply BECAUSE every person is an expression of God's image. Therefore I would have no problem (at least theoretically....:-) showing and expressing God's love (the way I understand it) to John-turned-into-Jane or to Pauline-turned-into-Paul. The God's image I see in people is not stricly related to their physical body, since we are made of spirit-soul-and body (I believe).

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:36 pm

[quote]...since we are made of spirit-soul-and body[/quote]
Perhaps a naive question, but is there a difference between spirit and soul?

Once you answer this, I would also like to know whether you accept the notion of a male soul trapped in a female body or a female soul trapped in a male body?

IF you have encountered cases of gender entrapment or transgenderism (quite distinct from transvestism, which may just be a symptom of transgenderism on occasion, but probably not in the majority of cases), then sex change operations would seem to be the medical answer for the realignment of mind and body, or body and soul.

One famous example of a transvestite, I believe, was J. Edgar Hoover. He would seem to be the furthest thing away from being a transgenderite. However, from what I read, he loved to wear women's undergarments. Does that also establish him as an homosexual? I don't know in his particular case, but I understand that transvestites are not necessarily homosexual either. So in our discussions, we need to keep in mind the distinctions between homosexual, transvestites, and transgenderites, even though any individual may be any and all of those, in any combination.

In this particular discussion however, I am uniquely concerned with transgenderism, that is the phenomenon where outwardly males see themselves however as females and vice versa, feel oppressively trapped in their physical genders, and welcome the relief that modern surgery can bring about. [Of course, Nekita, it's far easier for surgeons to turn a male into a female, minus the internal reproductive organs such as uterus and ovaries. I believe that it would be far more difficult to forge or graft a penis on a female body, but in the days of biological cloning, what is impossible??? I am sure that some people on this forum are more knowledgeable than me about the current limits of medical science or modern surgery, so they are welcome to shed some light on the subject.] What I truly want to bring out is what modern theologians (not in an academic sense, but "theologiens du béton", as Nekita put it) make of transgenderites and sex change operations.

Gelin thinks that they are still an expression of God's image, and that is very deep. It is also a reflection of Gelin's openness to a higher truth, which goes beyond the fundamentalist viewpoint and strict scriptural interpretation of many Christians I have met in our Haitian society. From what I have read, Vodou, not being based on scriptures, is much more accepting of people just the way they are. As a religion, it promotes spiritual liberalism much more than fundamentalism. Then again, those are just impressions that I have gathered. Vodou is also totally accepting of homosexuality, as opposed to Christian religions which consider such condition at best an abnormality that can be tolerated, and at worst the manifestation of sheer evil in the world.

And of course, to my housekeeper, anything that goes beyond the strict confines of heterosexual behavior (tranvestism, transgenderism, homosexuality, bisexuality, ... ... ...) is "Sodom and Gomorrah", one tale that neatly covers all that God did not create us for.

Let's not even talk about the diversity of sexual behaviors that exists within the confines of heterosexuality. That is the subject of a different discussion.

OK, thelologiens du béton, don't keep quiet. It's not enough to cite chapters and verses in the Bible. You need to express as well how you reconcile your theology to human existence in its current stage of evolution and perhaps even for the future.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:00 pm

[quote][quote]...since we are made of spirit-soul-and body[/quote]
Perhaps a naive question, but is there a difference between spirit and soul?[/quote]
Yes and no! According to the Bible we (all of us) are made in the image and that image carries an immaterial dimension. Some parts of the Bible call that dimension the soul, other parts call it the spirit. Personally, I see them as the two faces of the same coin - and that coin would be the immaterial part of our personhood.

There are two texts that point to a difference between the soul and the spirit.

[quote]For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. - Hebrews 4:12.

May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body</B> be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. - 1 Thessalonians 5:23.[/quote]

The first text talks about the possible effect of the word of God in the life of those who believe God and accept the idea that He has given us his word. By believing that word, it will become possible for them to let it judge their thoughts and attitude in light of God's revealed will - thereby judging the own soul (who they are and what they want) against the alignment of their spirit (who they can be in God) with the Spirit of God....

The second one says that in our entirety, we need to serve God and try - to the best of our knowledge/abilities - to live a blameless life. But who can, really...?

[quote]Once you answer this, I would also like to know whether you accept the notion of a male soul trapped in a female body or a female soul trapped in a male body?[/quote]
I'll have to come back to that one.

gelin

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:14 am

A note for the housekeeper -- If God doesn't "make mistakes" is it also a sin to separate co-joined twins, or correct other "birth defects"? If I had of been born a couple generations before I was I would have been thrown into the assylum to live out my life as a "lunatic." Why? Epilepsy. I was born with it.

But I guess if God doesn't make mistakes I probably shouldn't have taken that phenobarbital and went on ahead and had seizures till my brain turned to mush.

Someday we'll discover more about what causes some people to be born the wrong sex, and we'll move out of another episode of the dark ages.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:16 am

I sure wish people would stop dragging the name of God through mud of their ignorance.

Okay, I'm finished ranting for the day.

Night night.

:)

Tayi_

Post by Tayi_ » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:33 am

Friends,

I am sorry I cannot take more part in these discussions. I will have to refrain for a a few days more. Work, school, and much more going on. I also think this particular topic needs to be approached with compassion, objectivity, good research, etc. In order to do justice to it I would need some time.

Sorry if I dissapoint you, Guy.

Tayi
I wish you all an Expectant Advent and a Merry Christmas!

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:24 am

[quote]...In this particular discussion however, I am uniquely concerned with transgenderism, that is the phenomenon where outwardly males see themselves however as females and vice versa, feel oppressively trapped in their physical genders, and welcome the relief that modern surgery can bring about....[/quote]

Guy, if physically the gender is clearly defined (as you seem to indicate), then could transgenderism be strictly related to the personality of the individual - where the physical body has absolutely nothing to do with the problem?

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:26 pm

Gelin, in this particular case, you are right. Nobody would have mistaken "John" for a girl in "his" youth, in spite of his totally obvious "gason makomè" mannerisms and interests (mostly gossipping with girl friends, playing with dolls, buying hairstyling magazines and dutifully doing every woman's hair "he" could put his hands on, etc). Nothing too unusual up to that point, even though it's already a lot to classify rather simplistically as "the personality of the individual". We tend to do that, because we often limit ourselves to what the eyes can see, but what about the microbiology (biochemicals and biomechanisms) that govern our moods (is it "physio-" or "psycho-", purely physical or mental ?)

Do consider, Gelin, that in adolescence. John identified ever more assertively "as a female". He strongly rejected any notion that he was homosexual. He considered himself "a special woman", and he would have considered dating one of his girl friends as some form of lesbian behavior. I know, it's hard to wrap one's mind around that, but I am only trying to convey back to you what he conveyed to me in an unusually frank conversation about his general behavior that had come to concern me, not because I was passing moral judgment on him but because I was truly concerned about his finishing high school in an environment that would be hostile -- he dropped out in his senior year, when he was openly wearing dresses and sandals, eye shadow and nail polish, and, as I learned later from my distressed neighbors, the women's underwear he had been stealing from their drawers.

All the time he was transforming himself into a woman, in his external appearance, at first, then through the radical sex change operation, I kept asking "John/Anna-May/Jennifer" (not the real name) about school. That was to no avail, however. His/Her mind was someplace else that I could not reach...

Is it true that the behavior that I witnessed and that I have tried to describe above was "strictly related to the personality of the individual - where the physical body has absolutely nothing to do with the problem" ? I don't know, Gelin. What do you call "physical" ? Is it just the anatomy of a man and a woman? Should we add to that the hormones and various chemicals that influence the brain and our behaviors, wants and desires? Or is this strictly related to personality? I am sorry, but I do not quite know how to answer your question. Perhaps others may help.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:51 pm

[quote]...we often limit ourselves to what the eyes can see, but what about the microbiology (biochemicals and biomechanisms) that govern our moods (is it "physio-" or "psycho-", purely physical or mental ?)[/quote]
Yes, and that makes the issue even more complex. Certainly what goes on inside our brain (although not visible) is part of the physical, and that has a lot to do with our personality also. That's why some have said that the soul does not exist since certain chemicals can deeply alter our personality.

[quote]Do consider, Gelin, that in adolescence. John identified ever more assertively "as a female". He strongly rejected any notion that he was homosexual. He considered himself "a special woman", and he would have considered dating one of his girl friends as some form of lesbian behavior. ..[/quote]
I remember at least 2 guys like that but as of now I don't know wha
t really happened in their life. But they did not see themselves as "special women". Now, to consider himself a special woman would have required him to disregard completely his male physical body, which would move us back to the concept of personality. I would think that the biochemical reactions in the brain can give us some tendencies; but is it not a bit of a choice also to identify completely with the "urges" of the other sex (physically speaking)? Of course, I am talking from the outside since I never had to face this kind of battle on a personal level.

I came across this site ( http://www.genderpsychology.org/ ) that gives some good information on transgenderism. Some see it as a disorder, and I wonder if there is some similarities with what has been called the multiple personality disorder...

gelin

Post by » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:04 pm

Excellent link, Gelin! I think that those stories prove beyond doubt that transgenderism is a very complex issue that has been addressed only ackwardly by society, and even more so by Christian religions.

And beyond transsexuality and transgenderism, there exist numerous cases of physically ambiguous genders. In the Olympics, for instance, at least up to mid-20th century, they used to require high performing women athletes to completely undress so they could ascertain their womanhood. Of course, some women athletes preferred to be disqualified rather than submit to such humiliating test. In a rather famous case, a gold award winning woman was thus disqualified, because the public and the judges thought that she just had to be a man. When she refused to disrobe, they summarily stripped her of her gold and awarded it to the lovely woman athlete who finished second in the race. Several years later, proof was finally given that the previous gold medal winner was indeed a woman in spite of her manlike muscularity. The other shoe dropped many, many years later when the "lovely athlete" passed away, and the authopsy revealed that she was not what everyone had presumed "her" to be without any question... You can look it up, after all it is part of the Olympic Games History, as well as a historical tribute to mankind's arrogant stupidity.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:06 pm

[quote]...And beyond transsexuality and transgenderism, there exist numerous cases of physically ambiguous genders...[/quote]
When the physical body is "in-between" the 2 sexes, it's clear that something is not right (?). I think those individuals would have more of a case than when the sex is clearly defined anatomically. If a male voice or a male mind (!) comes out of a good female body, then it's an issue that cannot be considered from a strictly physical/material angle.

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:47 pm

[quote]If a male voice or a male mind (!) comes out of a good female body[/quote]

Gelin, what constitutes to you "a good female body" ? [Take note, I am not asking Leonel or Jean-Marie that question.]

Are physical attributes more important in the eyes of God than someone's mental makeup?

You have avoided discussing this whole issue from a spiritual or religious standpoint. I don't mean to put YOU on the spot, because I could write the same about Tayi or any other hardcore card-carrying biblical scripts believer. The point I was making is exactly how inadequate standard Biblical teachings can be to the extraordinary complexity of human nature.

Generally, I think that the life and message of Jesus-Christ are extraordinarily relevant and inspiring for our times, if one succeeds in disassociating from it all the baggage (and garbage) theologians and faith merchants have attached (and continue to attach) to them over centuries. But biblical teachings are clearly inadequate in dealing with the finer attributes of man : love, tolerance, compassion. Sure, it is a mishmash: some verses are often cited when they appear to lead the way to currently promoted moral values, others are never discussed because they clearly promote narrowness of mind, intolerance, vengeance, xenophobia, slavery and exploitation. Yet, Christians always swear by the Bible and on the Bible, then try to get out of it whatever they can possibly live with (while safely ignoring, forgetting, or discarding the rest of it).

I purposefully placed this discussion under the "Spiritual & Religious" forum category, but so far we have not been willing to address the issue in that light. I am not surprised: the reason is, I think, that most religious people tend to think in comforting binary terms: good/evil, God/Satan, male/female, heaven/hell, etc. Anything in between makes them feel uncomfortable -- well, except for heaven/hell: the Catholics have managed to add Limbo and Purgatory in the mix. I don't know about the Protestants. [By the way, what are the Protestants protesting and are they all protesting the same thing?]

[quote]When the physical body is "in-between" the 2 sexes ... I think those individuals would have more of a case[/quote]

What case is that? what are the charges? who is the presiding judge? does the defendant get to be judged by a jury of his/her peers? who is the lead prosecutor? who is the attorney for the defense? what are the penalties or punishment terms? will it really be a fair judgment? is the judge in a good mood or a bad mood (thinking about one judge in particular, I have read a lot about his violent temper and occasional regrets about his previous judgments and covenants)? would that judge accept bribes in the form of animal or human sacrifices? can the defendants appeal to the judge's mother for clemency? is the physical body entered as exhibit by the defense or the prosecution? how closely would they pour over the evidence? what happens if the evidence decays or gets drastically altered?

I am sorry to ask so many questions, Gelin. That's a habit I acquired since I learned how to talk, or so they tell me. I'll now give you a break... but can you please start addressing the issue in earnest instead of just dancing around it?

[se pa ou sèl non, Gelin... adje!]

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:37 pm

[quote]...Gelin, what constitutes to you "a good female body" ?[/quote]
My phrase is in line with what we discussed earlier regarding the fact that one's mind can be trapped inside body of the opposite gender. That's what I meant by good female body. I used it in the sense that from a purely physical standpoint the body would be easily classified as female.

[quote]Are physical attributes more important in the eyes of God than someone's mental makeup?[/quote]
They are equally important from what I understand.

[quote]You have avoided discussing this whole issue from a spiritual or religious standpoint...[/quote]
Not at all. That's exactly what we are doing. But first, the terms must be clear so we can speak the same language.

[quote]The point I was making is exactly how inadequate standard Biblical teachings can be to the extraordinary complexity of human nature.[/quote]
What specific standard biblical teaching do you have in mind?

[quote]Generally, I think that the life and message of Jesus-Christ are extraordinarily relevant and inspiring for our times, if one succeeds in disassociating from it all the baggage (and garbage) theologians and faith merchants have attached (and continue to attach) to them over centuries.[/quote]
I agree, but that's a difficult task.

[quote]...By the way, what are the Protestants protesting and are they all protesting the same thing?[/quote]
The term came from Rome's response to the theological points raised by Luther and others before and after him.

[quote][quote]When the physical body is "in-between" the 2 sexes ... I think those individuals would have more of a case[/quote]

What case is that? what are the charges? who is the presiding jud
ge?[/quote]
Let me rephrase: ...<I>I think the situation of those individuals would be more serious than when the gender is clearly defined - physically</I>. I guess that should take care of assumed "court" aspect of my thinking. I was not there at all...:-)

[quote]but can you please start addressing the issue in earnest instead of just dancing around it?[/quote]
But we are not dancing around it, unless there is something very specific that you were expecting from me. Do you feel or suspect some kind of filalang...? I am not doing that.

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:33 pm

[quote]
[quote]Are physical attributes more important in the eyes of God than someone's mental makeup?[/quote]
They are equally important from what I understand.
[/quote]
Really? It is terribly important to God, then, whether you are male or female. Is God sexist? Besides gender, are there other physical attributes that matter to God?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:39 pm

[quote]
[quote]You have avoided discussing this whole issue from a spiritual or religious standpoint...[/quote]
Not at all. That's exactly what we are doing. But first, the terms must be clear so we can speak the same language.[/quote]
What additional terms need to be clarified? I'll do my best, so we can speak the same language [hopefully direct, and not parabolic ;-) ]

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:01 pm

In the biblical account of creation, God created MAN (mankind) male and female. From the start, he separated us into the two genders. And both man and woman bear his image. The inside and the outside are important since that's what we are made of.

Regarding the terms, I guess you pointed to the complexity of the debate from the start:

[quote]...Once you answer this, I would also like to know whether you accept the notion of a male soul trapped in a female body or a female soul trapped in a male body?

IF you have encountered cases of gender entrapment or transgenderism (quite distinct from transvestism, which may just be a symptom of transgenderism on occasion, but probably not in the majority of cases), then sex change operations would seem to be the medical answer for the realignment of mind and body, or body and soul....[/quote]

An individual with a clearly defined gender (physically) and one
with an 'in-between' gender are two different cases. And one would agree that a physical or genetic disorder and a mental (if I can use that term) are not the same. Now, don't ask me to go ahead and throw the first stone....:-)

gelin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:44 pm

Gelin, let's examine these distinct cases:

1) individuals with clearly defined PHYSICAL genders, but with a distinctly different mental alignment. I gave what I believe is a clear and compelling case, which I had the opportunity to observe up close and personal, since he happened to be my neighbor, a friend of my children, and a frequest visitor to my home where he was never harassed. You gave still another compelling case in the link that you provided above.

2) secondly, AND SECONDARILY, I introduced the category of people with physically ambiguous gender. These people also align themselves mentally with one gender or another, in spite of their physical ambiguity. Those cases are more frequent than people would ordinarily assume. Practically all medical doctors know about such cases, because many of them have been well-documented.

However, I am perfectly willing to forego the discussion of the second case to make the overall discussion clearer, if you like. Since we started with Case I, let's only concentrate on Case I: clearly defined genders with opposite mental alignment. The type of cases that, in modern times, has led to sex change operations or lifelong alienation.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:02 am

Ok. I guess two solutions are possible, and each involves some important changes in one key part of our being:

1- the first is what many have done already: change the body to match the mind or personality.

2- the second is to change or work with the mind/personality to match the body. That would be my choice, for many reasons. One reason is that to a great extent we are defined by early childhood experiences. Experiences (traumatic or not), suggestions, external influences etc... play a role in our identify and how we see and understand ourselves. I would go deep into those areas to identify what may have triggered the "switch", and start from there.

gelin