The Holy Spirit is blowing smoke in their eyes

admin
Site Admin

The Holy Spirit is blowing smoke in their eyes

Post by admin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:52 am

Smoke confuses conclave crowd

By Peter Gould
BBC News, Rome

Standing in St Peter's Square, I had a flashback to 1978.

The first wisps of smoke appeared from the chimney above the Sistine Chapel against a darkening sky.

There were screams from the huge crowd, and people began to applaud wildly.

"It's white, it's white," they yelled, pointing at the chimney.

Then, the smoke started to look a little grey. The roars of delight were replaced by a buzz of confusion.

Peering at the chimney through my binoculars, I could see the smoke turning blacker by the second.

In the crowd, delight turned to disappointment, and the absence of Vatican bells confirmed our suspicions.

The first ballot of the 2005 conclave had been indecisive. No white smoke, no pope.

Consternation

It was all horribly familiar. I witnessed the two conclaves of 1978, and the smoke caused no end of trouble.

One minute it looked white, the next black. It often ended up a shade of grey, which caused consternation.

To be fair to the Vatican, the confusion tonight only lasted a couple of minutes, but it suggests the cardinals have not quite got the hang of the smoke signals yet.

The addition of chemicals is supposed to remove all doubt about the colour.

But at dusk, with the light fading, your eyes can play tricks on you.

"I thought it was white and I started clapping and cheering," admitted Father Carlos Bambi from Angola.

"I am a little disappointed, because I thought we would have a new pope today. I have to fly home on Wednesday, but I will be back here tomorrow."

Despite the anticipation, none of us had really expected white smoke so quickly.

The option of holding a single vote on the first day of the conclave was int
roduced by John Paul II.

I suspect he wanted to give the cardinals a chance to gauge the support for various candidates, before getting down to the serious voting on Day Two.

White smoke?

The mood of the crowd in St Peter's Square on the conclave's first evening was quite different to the atmosphere when people gathered here to pray for John Paul II.

Then, there was sadness and a quiet resignation, as everyone was aware his life was ebbing away.

Now there is a sense of excitement at the thought of a new pope stepping out onto the balcony of the basilica.

"I came here two hours ago, straight from the airport," said Mario Rivera, an advertising executive who had flown in from Honduras.

"This is my first chance to see a pope being elected, and I will be here every day and every night until I see white smoke."

There is a chance the smoke could signal the election of Cardinal Rodriguez Maradiaga of Honduras.

Fath
er Juan Angel Lopez used to work for the cardinal, but insisted that the nationality of the next pope was not important.

"It would be wonderful for my country if they choose Maradiaga or another Latin American, because we would have a pope who understands our way of thinking."

Historic moment

A few feet away, draped in the flag of Venezuela, was Hernan Arecena, a 19-year-old student.

"History is being made here, so it is important to come here and watch it," he said, smiling.

"I just want a good pope. But if the best pope is Latin American, I will be happy."

Among the many flags in St Peter's Square I spotted the Stars and Stripes.

John Paul Sonnen from Chicago was born in 1979, and named after the pope.

"The world is ready for a black pope, and I think the time is now," he told me.

"I have put everything on hold. I will be here every day and every night until we have a new pope. You can't pass up this kind
of thing."

The cardinals, locked in conclave and cut off from the outside world, cannot see the reaction of the crowd.

If it was possible to contact them, I would pass on a request from those of us who watch and wait in the square - please work on those smoke signals.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/e ... 458817.stm

Published: 2005/04/18 21:53:00 GMT

© BBC MMV

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:44 pm

Mezanmi, nou menm ki pi djam sou zafE levanjil lan pase m. Pouki sa neg yo pran on tonton 78 tan, yo mete l pap?

Se pou twa zan yo mete misye?

A la traka papa. Neg sa, ou kwE lap dire?

Sa pa vle di map fE plis tan ke misye, men, nom sa preske delala... Se bondye k chwazi pap sa yo???

La pE bondye avE nou, bien-aime.

leonel

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:19 am

Marilyn, great thread!

I've always seen the Vatican as the worst place ever...

I remember during the 15th century, these Bastards started "Black Slavery". Giving right to the European countries to own a place in the so called "Nouveau-Monde".

For instance, Vatican decided that the Northern part of America belongs to the Spaniards and the Soutern Part to the Portuguese. And ever since, almost every European country owns a little island or country in the New World...

Ki lE moun ap resi gen lespri pou yo wE ke Relijyon se Eksplwatasyon pi piti ke li ye. Yo fE pli gwo krim sou tE a.

La pE a ke nou,
leonel