Pope John Paul is Dead

admin
Site Admin

Pope John Paul is Dead

Post by admin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:39 pm

Pope John Paul is Dead - Vatican
Reuters

Saturday 02 April 2005

Vatican City - Pope John Paul II died on Saturday, the Vatican announced. The 84-year-old Pontiff, who had headed the Roman Catholic Church for 26 years, died at 9:37 p.m. (2:37 p.m. EST), a statement said.

"The Holy Father died this evening at 21.37 in his private apartment," the statement said.

The news was immediately announced to huge crowds gathered in St Peter's Square.

John Paul will be remembered for his role in the collapse of communism in Europe and his unyielding defense of traditional Vatican doctrines as leader of the world's 1.1 billion Catholics.

Huge crowds had staged a tearful vigil in St. Peter's Square, praying for a man already being dubbed by some Catholics as "John Paul the Great."

n The Pope's health had deteriorated steadily over the past decade and earlier this year took a sharp turn for the worse.

The Pontiff, once a lithe athlete and powerful speaker, was already racked by arthritis and Parkinson's Disease, his voice often reduced to a raspy whisper.

He was rushed to hospital twice in February and had to have a tracheotomy to ease serious breathing problems. But he never regained his strength from the operation and failed dramatically on two occasions to address crowds at St. Peter's Square.

On Wednesday doctors inserted a feeding tube into his stomach to try boost his energy levels. A day later he developed a urinary infection and high fever that soon precipitated heart failure, kidney problems and ultimately death.

According to pre-written Church rules, the Pontiff's mourning rites will last 9 days and his body is likely to be laid to rest in the crypt underneath St Peter's Basilica.

The conclave to elect a new P
ope will start in 15 to 20 days, with almost 120 cardinals from around the world gathering in the Vatican's Sistine Chapel to choose a successor.

There is no favorite candidate to take over. Karol Wojtyla was himself regarded as an outsider when he was elevated to the papacy on Oct. 16, 1978.

Few would have predicted then that the first non-Italian Pope in 455 years would throw off the stiff trappings of the papacy, travel the globe and leave an indelible mark on history.

In over a quarter century on the world stage, he was both a champion of the downtrodden and an often contested defender of orthodoxy within his own church.

Historians say one of the Pope's most lasting legacies will be his role in the fall of communism in Eastern Europe in 1989.

"Behold the night is over, day has dawned anew," the Pope said during a triumphant visit to Czechoslovakia in 1990.

A decade after witnessing the fall of communism, he fulfilled another of his
dreams. He visited the Holy Land in March 2000, and, praying at Jerusalem's Western Wall, asked forgiveness for Catholic sins against Jews over the centuries.

But while many loved the man, his message was less popular and he was a source of deep division in his own church.

Critics constantly attacked his traditionalist stance on family issues, such as his condemnation of contraception and homosexuality, and hope the next Pope will be more liberal.

However, he has appointed more than 95 percent of the cardinals who will elect his successor, thus stacking the odds that his controversial teachings will not be tampered with.

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:31 am

Yes Indeed, he was a great man and a very different Pope.

Who will be the next Pope? Is he gonna be chosen by God? Can she be a Woman? What are the requirements?

I would like to put my resume for a vacant position like that, the Haitian Pope, Leonel the Third...

I have another question. Why do believers cry when there is death or transfer to a Better Place? The man is God's Prime Minister on Earth. He will be seating "A la droite de Dieu"...

Personally, I feel sad, when there is death anywhere. For, I do not believe in Afterlife. But, please Believers. Be more confident of your Paradise where everyone will have a Porshe and Good life eternally.

Que la terre lui soit legere? It doesn't matter. We don't need the Body. The Soul will be in Heaven wherever it is???

Que la Paix du Seigneur soit toujours avec VOUS,

Et avec votre Esprit.

leonel (Haitian Candidate to the Vatican)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:50 am

[quote]Can she be a Woman?[/quote]
Leonel! She can be a woman only if she's passed for a man throughout her priestly career. One hard trick to pull off!

John Paul II has expressly barred woman priesthood for the Church, to the chagrin of Nekita (I feel sure).

One would have thought that men and women were equal in the eyes of God.

But think about this: Once a priest always a priest. A defrocked priest is still a priest. He may not perform priestly duties officially for the public but, according to Catholic dogma, he still has the powers to administer sacraments and may do so in private. A lot of priests have resigned from their position, voluntarily and involuntarily, and went on to marry (sometimes the women they had relations with as priests) and to have children. Of course, many of those children were also born to priests who never resigned their function (lots of cases in Haiti).
But even after a priest resigns and marries, he still is a priest, whether he is called a defrocked priest or a former priest. In reality, and according to the Church's own dogma, there is no such thing as a "former priest". That's a contradiction in terms. President Jean-Bertrand Aristide is a priest. But another thought... what if a "former priest" has a sex change operation? (Has that never happened?) Or what if, somewhere in the world, a woman passing as a man received indeed the sacrament of ordination? In either of those two cases (perhaps there are others), would you then have a woman priest -- whether the Church liked it or not?

[quote]Is he gonna be chosen by God?[/quote]
A la nèg anmèdan papa! And Gelin thinks I am the one...

Leonel, God does not choose. She inspires. Just prior to John Paul II, She inspired the Conclave of Cardinals to select John Paul I in 1978, who died 33 days later. No one has ever been able to decipher God's inspiratio
ns. (Not even Gelin.)

Remember too that God, in the person of the Holy Spirit, inspired the Cardinals to choose an Italian as pope for four and a half centuries before John Paul II, a Pole. It appears that this Pope has had a more illustrious career than all those Italian popes that preceded him. Will this in turn inspire God to look somewhat further than Europe for a leader of Her Church?

You want to be a candidate. But Leonel, I believe that one of the requirements of the job is that you believe in God. So I think that somewhat disqualifies you, per your own admission. So I think it will be pretty hard to sell your candidacy.

A certain person on this forum would be my first choice. She does travel a lot, and John Paul II has practically made this one of the modern requirements for that position. The only problem is that she would have to have a sex change operation (unfortunately!)

How about Jaf? He has written an encyclical "Viv Bondye Aba Relijyon". Ah.... forget him

Any other Haitian candidate?

I don't expect that there will be. The biggest job in the world for any Haitian man is to sit one day on the chaise bourrée du Palais National. I have the sneaky feeling that that particular position and the Papacy are not compatible, so you know which job any Haitian man worth his salt will pursue.

Unless he can hold the position in parallel fashion. Come to think of it, Gérard Gourgue is in striking position...

Well, we'll see. God's inspirations are somewhat impredictable. Perhaps She will someday select South America, Asia, Africa... as breeding grounds for the ultimate leadership of Her Church. And if She does, I bet that John Paul II will have had something to do with it. He now has Her ear, you know, and Her undivided attention.

[quote]Why do believers cry when there is death or transfer to a Better Place?[/quote]
Because they are selfish, Leonel. That's the only explanation. They want to keep t
heir loved ones to themselves instead of cheering when they leave this hellish world and go on to meet their Maker in a state of Eternal Happiness. In all logic, believers should be screaming TOUCHDOWN! every time a loved one emits his/her last breath and CHEER WILDLY for one more who makes it where they all want to go eventually. But believers are the selfish sort. It would appear that they do not truly want anyone to precede them. It's like they are going to lose one good seat at a football game, every time someone has the privilege of entering the stadium. Someone should tell them that the stadium is so big that there will be a good seat for them too, in due time. They should stop that selfish behavior once and for all. Have you ever observed them cry miserably while telling you in the same breath that their loved one has gone to Paradise? What the Hell is wrong with this picture?

Stop being so selfish, people! Your turn will come. And there will be enough food at the banquet for everybody. You ar
e not losing anything by letting one person go. (In fact, his going first is a little bit of insurance for you! Think about it.)

And the most amazing thing of all, when the person is about to undertake the trip... they pray for him/her NOT TO GO! As though it was a bad thing... If the Pope was not ready to go, Lord, will there ever be any hope for you and me? He prepared himself to go his entire life, and when he is finally about to make the trip, you say: "Oh, please. Don't go!" What will it take for people to understand that was THE DEAL all along. The Pope had a first-class ticket. Better than a first-class ticket, from what I could see on television. Air conditioning, and everything. Let him go, people. Let him go. That's the whole point of religion, haven't you figured it out already?

And why are the believers so afraid of the Eternal Life, which had better be a million times better than the one on Earth, otherwise what would be the point of Religion?

Cheer on, people. Cheer fo
r the Pope. He has stopped suffering. Stop being selfish. He's made it. This is PARTY TIME. Be happy... be logical. And don't pray for his soul. It's a little too late for that... God knows how many millions of "Je vous salue, Marie" are going to be recited today for the Pope. As though he needs it. I bet he will receive more unneeded prayers than all the children of Iraq. All the children of Darfur. All the children of Cité Soleil.

Yes, Leonel, you are right. The Church has some very confused people. And for good reason. The Church cultivates confusion. Has done so for millennia. No wonder we end up with so many confused people, who cry when they should cheer, and cheer when they should cry.

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:01 am

[quote]...Just prior to John Paul II, he inspired the Conclave of Cardinals to select John Paul I in 1978, who died 33 days later. No one has ever been able to decipher God's inspirations. (Not even Gelin.)[/quote]
Guy/leonel, sometimes I wonder.....

When I read what Jesus said to his own disciples:
[quote]But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth ‘father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.</B> Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ. The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted (Matthew 23:8-12).[/quote]

I wonder what will happen when the holy father from rome meets the holy father in heaven. Since there can't be 2 holy fathers at the same place, someone
's got to drop the title at some point in time/eternity. Unless Jesus didn't know what he was talking about...

gelin