On God's Side ...

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:20 pm

Biblical christianity was established 2,000 years ago by the One who came to fulfill the requirements of the Law of Moses. Centuries later Rome came with its own version, which was subsequently followed by all the various branches whe know today. Interestingly enough, the "branching" still continues. Now, how can anybody today</B> (theologian or not) pretend that they own God or God's grace? Isn't that a form of spiritual myopia?

<I>Nan zafè relijyon, tout voum se dlo papa!</I>

gelin

Gelin_

Re: Owning God

Post by Gelin_ » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:37 am

[quote]...And when they morph Christianity with American Nationalism, I want to puke...[/quote]
I was teaching an adult bible class one day and a brother was making a comment on the state of the country from a moral and spiritual standpoint. In essence, he was saying that unless America repents, God was going to send his judgement on the land. His scripture reference was 1 Peter 4:17-18 which states the following: [quote]For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God;</B> and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And, “If it is hard for the righteous</B> to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner</B>?"[/quote]
Being the one in charge of the class, I had to remind him as clearly as I could that this verse talks specifically about the body of believers across time and space, and not a
bout America or any other country. Apparently, he did not fully appreciate the fact that I reminded him that America is a country and not the Chruch of Jesus-Christ. It's one thing to be a believer and a good citizen, but it's quite another to willingly confuse the identity of body of Christ (the church) with a nation. America is a great country with a lot of christian believers and historically also with a lot of christian influence. But that's all.

gelin

Gelin_

Re: On Confusing the Church with a Nation ...

Post by Gelin_ » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:29 pm

[quote]...Thanks again for confronting the lie which has taken such strong root -- along with the prosperity gospel -- within the U.S. church.[/quote]

Sometimes I wonder why it's so easy for people to believe unscriptural teachings while they have the scriptures and can read and study for themselves.

Just the other day, I heard a preacher on TV say that their business is to build the kingdom and not the church. And he explained that to build the church (or churches) is the business of Jesus because he is the one who said "...I will build my church..." He was as clear as possible that he is not doing the same thing Jesus did and that the two of them have a different agenda. Now, why would <I>christians</I> be any different from <I>Christ</I> in their practice and teachings?

gelin

Gelin_

Post by Gelin_ » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:02 pm

[quote]
- When my husband died</B> in 1973, they comforted me with the words: If your husband had been closer to God, he'd still be alive. He must have had some secret sin and God was punishing him for it.

- When my spine crumbled</B> and I had to have those back surgeries, they comforted me with the words: God would have protected you and healed you without surgery, if you did not have some secret sin.

- When the going got rough financially</B>, they comforted me with the words: God provides for His own. If you lack anything, it's because you lack faith. There has to be something you did to cut yourself off from his provision.

[/quote]

Death....illness....financial difficulties? Well, that must be a curse. Right? This was e-x-a-c-t-l-y the attitude of Job's friends when they came to vis
it him during his time of trial. Instead of comforting him with love and taking care of his needs (as they should) they were exceedingly happy to blame him as if he was responsible for his (temporary) misfortunes. God himself said they were wrong, and even commanded Job to pray for them. Here, I remember Lemane!

Now, if you can stretch that arrogant attitude to the situation of Haiti it becomes clear that (in the minds of these holier-than-thou believers) <I>God must be punishing the haitian people for some sin their forefathers had committed long ago in their fight for independance from slavery</I>. This has been the theological argument used by so many christian leaders (foreign and national) to explain Haiti's misery to themselves and to others (willing to listen). How wrong they are...

gelin

Gelin_

Re: Daisy Chains and Lighthouses ...

Post by Gelin_ » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:18 pm

[quote]...It would seem that the closer I drew over the years to the Haitian People, the more I got to experience at least a tiny portion of the antipathy</B> that Haitians have experienced at the hands of those holier-than-thou believers...[/quote]
An antipathy veiled most of the times but very clear on occasions...My heart is frequently heavy because of such an attitude on the part of supposedly ministers of the Gospel of love, truth and light.

As for you, certainly the God of heaven will bless you for all you have invested into that tiny nation. We are all grateful for your contributions and sacrifices. Continue to show his pure love as much as you can.

It's much easier to destroy than to build.

gelin