A strange legal battle linked to homosexuality and faith

Gelin_

A strange legal battle linked to homosexuality and faith

Post by Gelin_ » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:55 pm

I heard this on the radio today and I did a search for a good article. Here is what I found on cbsnews.com

[quote]
January 1, 2010

Former Lesbian Defies Custody Case Order</b>

Va. Woman Fails to Give Up Child to Ex-Partner After Civil Union Was Dissolved; Judge Says She's Apparently "Disappeared"

...Miller and Jenkins were joined in a Vermont civil union in 2000. Isabella was born to Miller through artificial insemination in 2002. The couple broke up in 2003, and Miller moved to Virginia, <u>renounced homosexuality</u> and became an evangelical Christian....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/ ... 5614.shtml
[/quote]
gelin

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:51 pm

I tend to favor the rights of the "birth mother", the one who carried the child during the nine months of gestation but she obviously made a terrible mistake by disobeying the law of the land, unless she chose to safely remove herself from that land. If she did not, the odds are that she will be found and the consequences to her, in terms of her continued relationship with the child, will be very harsh. So, even though I am sympathetic to her maternal instincts, I do think that she probably made a decision that will come to haunt her.

As for the lesbianism and religion related issues, I really don't care! It's been demonstrated a long time already that fathers can be good mothers and mothers can be good fathers, regardless of what religious leaders say about it.

Bouli

Post by Bouli » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:22 pm

It sounds like a daily legal battle except one of the couple is becoming hybrid. Homosexuality and faith are like hands and gloves. Vatican has been a gay club for millennia.

What about Douglas Perlitz case in Connecticut accusing of having sex with Haitian adolescents for over a decade? He's not near Nancy Grace's radar.

Tayi

Post by Tayi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:29 pm

[quote]I tend to favor the rights of the "birth mother", the one who carried the child during the nine months of gestation but she obviously made a terrible mistake by disobeying the law of the land, unless she chose to safely remove herself from that land. If she did not, the odds are that she will be found and the consequences to her, in terms of her continued relationship with the child, will be very harsh. So, even though I am sympathetic to her maternal instincts, I do think that she probably made a decision that will come to haunt her. [/quote]
Me too.

[quote]As for the lesbianism and religion related issues, I really don't care! It's been demonstrated a long time already that fathers can be good mothers and mothers can be good fathers, regardless of what religious leaders say about it.[/quote]
Um. I beg to differ. It could be true only to a limited extent. Otherwise, too many fundamental differences between men and women. There are some things I believe only a man can give to a child. There are other things only a woman can give. It just seems to be the most common sense approach.

[quote]Homosexuality and faith are like hands and gloves. Vatican has been a gay club for millennia.[/quote]
Obviously! How else could you explain the fact that they're all men. The all male priesthood is just a cover up to practice their game. Bouli, thank you once more for pointing out the obvious truth to us.

(For those who may be new, yes I am being sarcastic...very. :-) I don't do that too often)

Tayi

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:46 am

[quote]Otherwise, too many fundamental differences between men and women. There are some things I believe only a man can give to a child. There are other things only a woman can give. It just seems to be the most common sense approach. [/quote]
Of course, Tayi, there are fundamental differences between men and women. The most fundamental is that women can give birth and men can't (though there has already been a sensational case of a man giving birth, after he had changed sex and conceived prior to the operation... do you remember that? It was on Oprah and all over the gossip shows... a very strange case, really). Though that case was the most extreme to date, what I pointed to was a fact, by now well established, that some men totally act as women, wives, and mothers because they may just be "special women" trapped in a man's body, and that some women totally act as men, husbands, and fathers because they may just be "special men" trapped in a woman's body. By now, those cases are no longer hidden, those "special men" and "special women" have been functioning quite "normally" in our society (in spite, of course, of remaining prejudices and religious condemnation). I can relate the fact that I had a homosexual couple living two houses from me for many years. They had adopted a son when he was just a couple of months. When they left the neighborhood, Jeremiah was six and a half years old. By all appearances, he was parented and nurtured exemplarily. I can tell you that he was one happy boy! And it was very clear to everyone on my street who observed the couple, who was the "man and father" and who was the "woman and mother". Make no mistakes about it! The traditional roles of man and woman, parents and child, were preserved and acted beautifully in that particular family.

If I say so, it's not that I am advocating gay marriage and gay parenting. I am just stating that it can work and works very well on occasion, just like with straight marriage and parenting. And when you consider the extraordinarily high number of single parent families in some cities in NJ that I know about (more than 70% in some cases, and reaching to 90% among young women in their late teens and early twenties!), then you have to wonder about all those cases where a young woman has to be both a father and a mother. In many cases, they succeed, but in a distressing number of other cases, the children cannot receive enough parental supervision (since the young women have to return to work, while the biological fathers are wandering somewhere or spending time in jail). How do those unfortunate situations relate to the cases where a child is reared by a loving, role-differentiated, and well-adjusted gay or lesbian couple? I know what Christian religions say generally: It's an abomination! Sodom and Gomorrah! "How can a child ever be reared right by two fathers or two mothers?" "He will inevitably turn out to be gay himself / That little girl is bound to be a lesbian." (conveniently forgetting that most gays and lesbians in our world were raised by heterosexual parents!)

I hope that you will better appreciate the point that I made earlier. It was not intended to deny the differentiation between fatherhood and motherhood. I was simply relating the fact that in some cases, men act as mothers and women act as fathers. Given the case presented here by Gelin, I have placed the accent on same sex couples, but there are many other cases where a straight man has to fulfill the nurturing role of a mother as well, and vice versa.