Brazil's Indians offended by Pope (Ratzinger) comments

jafrikayiti

Brazil's Indians offended by Pope (Ratzinger) comments

Post by jafrikayiti » Mon May 14, 2007 9:43 pm

Brazil's Indians offended by Pope comments
Mon May 14, 2007 3:15PM EDT
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNew ... geNumber=2

By Raymond Colitt

BRASILIA (Reuters) - Outraged Indian leaders in Brazil said on Monday they were offended by Pope Benedict's "arrogant and disrespectful" comments that the Roman Catholic Church had purified them and a revival of their religions would be a backward step.

In a speech to Latin American and Caribbean bishops at the end of a visit to Brazil, the Pope said the Church had not imposed itself on the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

They had welcomed the arrival of European priests at the time of the conquest as they were "silently longing" for Christianity, he said.

Millions of tribal Indians are believed to have died as a result of European colonization backed by the Church since Columbus landed in the Americas in 1492, through slaughter, disease or enslavement.

Many Indians today struggle for survival, stripped of their traditional ways of life and excluded from society.

"It's arrogant and disrespectful to consider our cultural heritage secondary to theirs," said Jecinaldo Satere Mawe, chief coordinator of the Amazon Indian group Coiab.

Several Indian groups sent a letter to the Pope last week asking for his support in defending their ancestral lands and culture. They said the Indians had suffered a "process of genocide" since the first European colonizers had arrived.

Priests blessed conquistadors as they waged war on the indigenous peoples, although some later defended them and many today are the most vociferous allies of Indians.

"The state used the Church to do the dirty work in colonizing the Indians but they already asked forgiveness for that ... so is the Pope taking back the Church's word?" said Dionito Jose de Souza a leader of the Makuxi tribe in northern Roraima state.

Pope John Paul spoke in 1992 of mistakes in the evangelization of native peoples of the Americas.

Pope Benedict not only upset many Indians but also Catholic priests who have joined their struggle, said Sandro Tuxa, who heads the movement of northeastern tribes.

"We repudiate the Pope's comments," Tuxa said. "To say the cultural decimation of our people represents a purification is offensive, and frankly, frightening.

"I think (the Pope) has been poorly advised."

Even the Catholic Church's own Indian advocacy group in Brazil, known as Cimi, distanced itself from the Pope.

"The Pope doesn't understand the reality of the Indians here, his statement was wrong and indefensible," Cimi advisor Father Paulo Suess told Reuters. "I too was upset."

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Tue May 15, 2007 8:53 am

[quote]the Pope said the Church had not imposed itself on the indigenous peoples of the Americas.

They had welcomed the arrival of European priests at the time of the conquest as they were "silently longing" for Christianity, he said.[/quote]
They were "silently longing" for Christianity!?!?!?

Whoa! That is profound... The Africans too must have welcome the slave trade and the stripping of their humanity, because that was a necessary step in the coming of God [the one and only true God] in their lives. A god that could not imagine any other way, supposedly...

Then the Jews must have also silently longed for their holocaust as reparations for killing Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who is in the Father as the Father is in Him.

And every unchristian nation that has ever been brutalized by a Christian Nation must have been "secretly longing" for salvation, as defined by one man and his advisers who in turn are divinely inspired, according to their own dogma come from bits and pieces over the years.

"They had welcomed the arrival of European priests at the time of the conquest..." Of course, this is not a verbatim statement of what the Pope actually said, and to be perfectly honest, I have yet (this morning) to read exactly his speech to "Latin American and Caribbean bishops at the end of his visit to Brazil", as it obviously was not directed at me. But I had to react to this most dreadful of insinuations, as presented here in this article. If true then, how many of those Latin Americans and Caribbean bishops walked out on the Pope?

I hope this article got it all wrong, to tell you the truth. Not because I am "secretly longing" for yet another rehabilitation of this foot-in-the-mouth-a-holic representative of the Catholic variant of Christian faith, but because I fear the power of words in the wrong hands, and those words (as I read them, here and now) were absolutely dreadful.

[quote]"I think (the Pope) has been poorly advised." [/quote]
Hell, how often have I read that of George Bush also? If I get the power to hire and fire all the advisers that I want, then I am the one responsible, not my advisers. And what about the Supreme Adviser? Does he only give advice occasionally and only through a College of Cardinals? How selective!! No, please, let the buck stop where it must.

[quote]"The Pope doesn't understand the reality of the Indians here, his statement was wrong and indefensible," Cimi advisor Father Paulo Suess told Reuters.[/quote]
Well, Suess is right about the nature of the statement. But if the Pope does not truly understand the reality of the Indians in Latin America, then he should have kept his mouth shut. This trip was long planned and well advertised. The main object of the trip was to create a Brazilian saint who has performed his miracles on people who orally ingest prayers inscribed inside of paper pills, in order to stem the erosion of Catholics who convert to another variant of the Christian faith, the Pentecostal Church. As if this undertaking was not insulting enough to people of reason, we had to be served another dish of rationalized Christian imperialism???

This leaves me "secretly longing" for a world without religion and a world without isms, but I am not so easily led to believe in the actualization of my longing, simply because I wish it to be real.

There is enough evidence right now to believe that the College of Cardinals badly misfired in the selection of this pope. Their Supreme Adviser must have been on vacation.

Guy S. Antoine