Silly translations: Moun ki Moun mwen pa okipe!

Tayi_

Silly translations: Moun ki Moun mwen pa okipe!

Post by Tayi_ » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:59 am

M ap wè si nou fò vre. What would you understand if I told you, "People who people I don't occupy, go to see for you"?

Tayi,
P.S. Hey, don't be too quick in pointing out "corniness"; remember I am new and you must be nice to me :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:07 am

i am not going to answer that one since the answer is rather obvious for natif-natals (native Creole speakers). But I would like to see KSL speakers, like Marilyn or Martha (or Michel?), and other KSL students take a crack at it.

*** KSL = Kreyòl as a Second Language

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:20 am

Good try, Marilyn! (unfortunately, you're still far off...)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:57 am

Michel, I hope you understood that I was teasing you about that KSL stuff. Your Kreyòl writing has much improved this time, though that has happened before, but you have proved to be inconsistent (which is quite frustrating, because it leads people to wonder whether you really care). In particular, I am glad to see you write "mwen" and dearly wish you will keep it that way instead of reverting, as you have often done, to the "horribilis" [mouin, mwin, mouen, mouwen, ... elatriye].

As for your translation, it's good of course, except for one spelling mistake [ you wrote "ouwe" (incorrect and unnecessarily complicated) instead of wè (correct) ] and the fact that your HC translation would still leave many non natif-natals in the dark, as it is still fairly idiomatic.

Allow me to explain some parts of the translation.

"Moun ki moun" [translated, word for word, to "people who people" by a playful T
ayi] means "PEOPLE WHO MATTER".

Building on that, let's take a larger piece of the pie. "People who people I don't occupy" (Tayi) is a literal translation of "Moun ki moun mwen pa okipe". I suggest that the proper translation should be: "I hardly PAY ATTENTION TO people who matter (or important people)".

<center>* * * * * * * * * * * * *</center>

The second part of the nugget, "go to see for you", corresponds to a word for word translation from "ale wè pou ou". In true English, this means "LET ALONE YOU!".

<center>* * * * * * * * * * * * *</center>

To recap them, "People who people I don't occupy, go to see for you" is a very clumsy translation from the idiomatic Kreyòl expression "Moun ki moun mwen pa okipe, ale wè pou ou!", which people say in jest . I submit to Tayi and other Ann Pale forum members that the correct English translation wo
uld be:

I hardly pay attention to people who matter, let alone you!

Of course, I leave myself open to anyone else's corrections, if any.

Anacaona_

Post by Anacaona_ » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:19 am

Guy,

Thank you for the clarification!

I try very hard to understand what Tayi was saying, but I could not get it. (I am not a case of KSL.)

Anacaona!

Tayi_

Post by Tayi_ » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:49 am

Guy,

It seems that my semi-joke turned into a real educational opportunity by means of your precise explanations. Amazing!

Tayi

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 am

Ann kontinye travay sou ribrik sa, paske li amizan e li kapab ban nou yon chans pou nou pratike kreyòl la san ke san pa monte nan tèt nou.