Don't give Haitians a penny, says rightwing US shock jock

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:00 pm

Amid the rash of appeals for Haiti donations has come a call from one of the most prominent voices on the American right for people to hang on to their cash because Barack Obama might steal it.

Rush Limbaugh, the most popular radio talkshow host, who is sometimes described as the real leader of the Republican party, says Americans should not give a penny to a population struggling for survival after the earthquake.

Limbaugh agreed with a caller suspicious that the White House website was being used to direct funds to the American Red Cross. "Would you trust the money's gonna go to Haiti?" the caller asked. Limbaugh then said Obama was exploiting the disaster for political ends.

"This [the earthquake] will play right into Obama's hands," said Limbaugh. "He's humanitarian, compassionate. They'll use this to burnish their, shall we say, credibility with the black community – both light-skinned and dark-skinned black community in this country. This is made to order for them."

Limbaugh also warned Americans against donating money. "Besides, we've already donated to Haiti. It's called the US income tax," he said.

The movie critic Roger Ebert responded with an open letter to Limbaugh: "Tens of thousands are believed still alive beneath the rubble. You twisted their suffering into an opportunity to demean the character of the president."

The evangelical leader Pat Robertson has also drawn criticism for suggesting Haiti had brought decades of torment on itself by making a pact with the devil to end French rule. The White House press secretary, Robert Gibbs, described Robertson's remarks as "utterly stupid".

He also condemned Limbaugh: "I think to use the power of your pulpit to try to convince those not to help their brothers and sisters is sad," he said.

Crass remarks were not restricted to rightwing Americans. A senior Haitian diplomat was caught on camera claiming the earthquake would be good for his country and appearing to blame the catastrophe on "witchcraft".

Speaking before an interview on Brazilian TV, Haiti's consul in São Paulo, George Samuel Antoine, said: "This catastrophe is good for us here, it will make us known."

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:56 pm

[quote]Don't give Haitians a penny, says rightwing US shock jock.[/quote]
Sadly, I heard the same vitriol yesterday from a dear 7th Day Adventist, church-going (several times a week), friend of mine. She turned hateful: "Sèlman, yo pa bezwen bay Ayisyen yon penny. Si gen lajan ki pou bay, se blan yo sèl ki pou touche li. Dayè yo te mèt pran peyi a pou yo. Meriken te mèt pran l. Blan franse te mèt pran l. Ayisyen pa fout bon menm. Si blan yo pran peyi a, zafè nou a mache!" I tried to protest and challenge the basis of her notion that foreigners are benevolent, and Haitians by nature malevolent. But it was to no avail. I confess that she remains a personal friend, a very dear friend even. But I am reeling from the self-hatred and crass ignorance that have settled in her heart. Her Christian loving heart. If I walk out on her, I will de facto walk out on tens of thousands of my compatriots.

Haitian people talking just like Pat Robertson and Rush Limbaugh. If you think that's rare, you haven't been around.

After that hateful tirade, she continued to prepare herself to observe the Sabbath. This afternoon, she went back to her church for a Special Prayer Meeting for Haiti. I could have gone too, but spare me, I do not have the perverse resilience that it takes to attend those Exorcism sessions for devil-possessed Haiti. During the course of my community service, I had tried to...

After the flooding and destruction of the City of Independence in 2008, I (a resolutely non-religious person) decided to attend a service nevertheless to be in solidarity with my church-going brothers and sisters. I had to endure a sermon for half and hour on the same theme that I described above: Haitians are no good. God is punishing Haiti because too many Haitians are devil-worshipers. It is the this back magic, this sorcery that is killing us. We fully deserve this Just and Loving God's punishment. And so on... Want to hear the conclusion of the sermon? "The only thing that we can do for Haiti is to buy lots of bibles and send them to the people of Haiti."

My blood was boiling in my veins, but I did manage to stay put and attempt later to find non-confrontational ways to reason with my friends. But who am I to fight against their Scriptural truths? We each have our own God, it seems, if at all. To them, their God loves me still (as I am not judged to be a devil-worshiper) but he heartily laughs at my usual irreverence (and I should be so thankful that he has a good sense of humor!) but, if only I'd join the ranks of the haters and go to church and repeat their inanities, then God might think me worthy of joining "le Royaume des Cieux".

But who are responsible for so many Haitians thinking that way ? ? ? What has been their mechanism of choice ? Who is fooling whom in this game ? And how strong is the hope for Haiti when Haitians continue to be so divided along cultural and religious lines ? I STILL HAVE HOPE. But my conclusion is: if we think that our community is not fractured, if we think that the road ahead will be easy and self-evident, then we are truly kidding ourselves!

[quote]A senior Haitian diplomat was caught on camera claiming the earthquake would be good for his country and appearing to blame the catastrophe on "witchcraft".

Speaking before an interview on Brazilian TV, Haiti's consul in São Paulo, George Samuel Antoine, said: "This catastrophe is good for us here, it will make us known." [/quote]
There should be a policy of zero tolerance for those idiots. Ou desann pantalon w konsa, ou merite yo pete grenn ou. Pardon my French.

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 pm

The seed was planted long ago...

I also have similar experience with Seventh Day Adventist, Baptist, Evangelical.... brothers and sisters.

The process of Evanjelizazonbifikasyon is being implemented for over 500 years now. You must use a lot of love and patience before you can help an affected individual realize that his/her christian religious beliefs are nothing more than white supremacist ideolgy successfully packaged to look good.

Mwen po ko pret pou m fatige bay ti kontribisyon pa mwen nan konbit kase chenn sa a.

Tonnè kraze m Ayisyen gen pou yo sispann adore blan an pansan se bondye y ap glorifye!

Lè Dessalines mande règleman.... nou tout oblije mete devwa nou opwop!

Jaf

Shelony

Post by Shelony » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Fortunately, not every Christian thinks the same way. And I think this type of thinking has nothing to do with faith, or education level.

Saturday night, I was talking to an educated friend, former protestant, Haitian, who has not been in Church for years (except for wedding and funeral) and he told me "se trOp maji wi nan peyi a ki kOz sa rive. Ou pa wE se tout bilding gouvEnman ak legliz katolik yo ki kraze? Nou fE trOp mechanste. " And I was like "come one, I don't expect that from you too. natural disasters don't happen anymore? what about all the protestant churches which collapsed, all the Christians who died? how do you explain the death of Church of God's overseer and other pastors?" His answer was "LE Bondye ak kale, li kale tout moun". And I said, "Do we do more bad things that people from other countries? Do people from other countries pray more than we do? And the answer was that each country will get hit by God sooner or later and when I asked why we were the first, there was no answer.

Sunday, morning someone who is always present for every church service called me to say that she did not feel going to church today because she thinks that the message will be that all this is happening because of Bwakayiman and she did not want to hear that kind of message. I encourage her to go and ignore whatever is said that she did not like. But I am glad to say that not one word was said to blame Haiti, the people, the government or our ancestors for what happen. the whole service was concentrated on Haiti but it was about helping the country, organizing to help, helping people reach their relatives and friends, helping the church members heal mentally. It was beautiful how everyone worked together to foster healing and promote a desire to help rebuild.

Since the earthquake, I am trying to heal because my heart bleeds and I am trying to help in any way I can although I find it is not always easy to do either. I am also fighting nonsense everyday.

I have heard so much nonsense, people making up stuff and spreading it as news. For some people, God causes it to punish us; for others, God does it to change us and change the country. For others, it is an experiment by men who hate us. For others, it is the end of the world. All these ideas are being spread by some fellow Haitians (Christians and non-Christians). So, I think it is more important to to concentrate and help correct these ideologies among ourselves because the future of Haiti depends on us.

I don't care what Pat Robertson or others think but I care about what my fellow Haitians think. Every time, I hear something that can contribute to kill Haiti, I try to address it ASAP so that the poison do not spread too much because I remember 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004. I remember the way of thinking of my generation during the attempted coup in December 2001 and afterward and everything that happened afterward. I remember how my young brothers and sisters, especially the educated ones, thought when Aristide talked about restitution from France and what happened afterward.
Mr. Robertson and others may think whatever they want, but what WE think and decide will matter most for the future of Haiti.

Shelony

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 am

Actually, there is a reason why one has that belief. For, it came from the "Bible". God when upset, destroyed a lot of his uncontrolled Creations. We know about Sodom and Gomorrah. We know about "Noah's Ark" just to name a few...

Tout ce qui est fait: "La Volonté de Dieu"!

I don't have a problem with those people. I understand that they are really using the Scriptures. Dieu le Père pa nan jwèt si ou pa fè sa'l mande'w.
It's either you use the Bible or you don't. We cannot use just part of it. The Koran, Torah and Old Testament are intertwined. But, the New Testament is a little more forgiving. Cause, people got much smarter.

Anyway, segregation, discrimination, extermination of different beings, is what the King of Kings wanted. He was against People from Canaan, based on the "Old Testament".

If you go to the New Testament, Psalm 109 (I believe) it also advocates violence.

Excuse my French. It's either you believe or you don't. Rush and Pat are "True Believers".

And Please, do not question God's doing!

Beni soit l'Eternel.
Leonel