Culinary Arts Institute
2 quarts water
2 cups dried red beans, rinsed
1 can (13 3/4 ounces) beef broth
1 tablespoon salt
8 parsley sprigs
3 scallions or green onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoons dried rosemary
3 tablespoons peanut oil
2 cups rice
1. Bring water to boiling. Add red beans and cook covered for 1 1/2 hours.
2. Drain beans, reserving liquid, and set aside. Add beef broth and enough water to bean liquid to equal 4 3/4 cups of liquid. Set aside.
3. In a mortar, pound together to form a paste the salt, parsley, scallions, garlic, and rosemary.
4. Heat oil and seasoning paste in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Put rice in Dutch oven and stir until well coated with oil. Add reserved liquid and bring to a boil, stirring. Add beans and again bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
5. Remove cover, stir, and cook about 5 minutes longer, or until no liquid remains.
8 to 10 servings
1 post • Page 1 of 1