Culinary Arts Institute
3 tablespoons lard
3 pounds beef shin bones
1 pound lean beef for soup
3 quarts water
2 tablespoons coarse salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
8 dried Italian pepper pods or 1 green hot pepper, pricked
3 carrots, pared and cubed
3 leeks, washed and cubed
3 parsnips, pared and cubed
3 plantains, peeled and cubed
12 shallots, halved
4 cups cubed pumpkin
1 pound cabbage, cut in chunks
1 pound malanga root or rutabaga, peeled and cubed
A handful of spinach or sorrel leaves
2 tablespoons tomato purée
3/4 cup cooked rice
1. Heat lard in a large soup kettle. Add shin bones, soup beef, and marrow bone and brown to a rich golden color. Add water and bring to a boil. Add salt, ground pepper, and pepper pods. Simmer covered 45 minutes, skimming soup twice.
2. Add remaining ingredients except spinach, tomato puré
e, and rice, simmer covered 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
3. Remove bones and meat. Slice marrow and cube the meat reserve.
4. Press vegetables against side of kettle with the back of a large wooden spoon. Add spinach and cook 5 minutes, then stir in tomato purée.
5. Spoon 1 tablespoon cooked rice in center of each soup plate and pour in soup.
1 post • Page 1 of 1