EXCLUSIVE ARISTIDE INTERVIEW

jafrikayiti

Bon zouti !

Post by jafrikayiti » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:43 pm

I doubt that any of the foreign leaders and their local housenegroes who overthrew Aristide can offer an equally sound and well articulated interview.

We, Haitians, have been robbed of more than 15 years during which our nation could have prospered so much economically, politically and socially.

The criminals who financed and supervised the deadly coups d'état of 1991 and 2004 - (George Bush the Elder, George Bush the Lesser and their stooges) - deserve all to be hanged like Saddam Hussein !

As our former President says:
"The collective consciousness of the Haitian people, their mobilisation for democracy, these things may not have been fully actualised but they exist, they are real"

Sooner or later we shall overcome. Amandla !

Jafrikayiti
"It's the logic of people who take themselves to be all-powerful. If they decide 1 + 1 = 4, then 4 it will have to be" - Jean-Bertrand Aristide

Michael Deibert

Post by Michael Deibert » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:24 am

[quote]Here again the people who make these sort of claims are lying, and I think they know they are lying. As soon as you start to look rationally at what was really going on, these accusations don't even begin to stand up. Several things have to be kept in mind. First of all, the police had been working under an embargo for several years. We weren't even able to buy bullet-proof vests or tear-gas canisters. The police were severely under-equipped, and were often simply unable to control a demonstration or confrontation. Some of our opponents, some of the demonstrators who sought to provoke violent confrontations, knew this perfectly well. The people also understood this. It was common knowledge that while the police were running out of ammunition and supplies in Haiti, heavy weapons were being smuggled to our opponents in and through the Dominican Republic. The people knew this, and didn't like it. They started getting nervous, with good reason. The provocations didn't let up, and there were some isolated acts of violence. Was this violence justified? No. I condemned it. I condemned it consistently. But with the limited means at our disposal, how could we prevent every outbreak of violence? There was a lot of provocation, a lot of anger, and there was no way that we could ensure that each and every citizen would refuse violence. The president of a country like Haiti cannot be held responsible for the actions of its every citizen. But there was never any deliberate encouragement of violence, there was no deliberate recourse to violence. Those who make and repeat these claims are lying, and they know it. [/quote]

Then how does one explain this?

Pro-Aristide gang leader funeral
December 16, 2004
http://www.wozoproductions.org/pages/vi ... _three.htm

Frantz

Post by Frantz » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:54 am

M Deibert,
I saw a funeral where very few armed men and more than a thousand peaceful mourners bravely took on the streets to protest the killing of one of their sons. What was there to explain? What is your point? I really don't get it.

The interview given by JBA was interesting enough to shed some light on many events that led to the February 2004 coup. For the first time at least, I heard from the principal actor and it is quietly refreshing to get 'yon lòt son kloch".

frantz

Serge

Post by Serge » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:38 pm

Frantz,

I finally got a chance to read the Aristide Interview. It is indeed a good interview that evryone should read, irrespective of your leanings. I concur with you when you ask of Mr Deibert: what is the point? I guess he will have to clarify the message he was trying to send by directing us to that video. What are the links between the interview and the video? I may be missing something, but there seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

Serge

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:59 am

Please note that the electronic address for the source of this document is:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v29/n04/hall02_.html

I encourage you all to publish the url source of documents re-printed on Ann Pale whenever you can.