Racism

T-dodo

Racism

Post by T-dodo » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:28 am

This incident actually took place on a British Airways flight between Johannesburg and London.

A white woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a black man. Obviously disturbed by this, she called the air Hostess.

"Madam, what is the matter," the hostess asked. "You obviously do not see it then?" she responded. "You placed me next to a black man. I do not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant group. Give me an alternative seat."

"Be calm please," the hostess replied. "Almost all the places on this flight are taken. I will go to see if another place is available."

The hostess went away and then came back a few minutes later. "Madam, just as I thought, there are no other available seats in the economy class. I spoke to the captain and he informed me that there is also no seat in the business class. All the same, we still have one place in first class."

Before the woman could say anything, the hostess continued: "It is not usual for our company to permit someone from the economy class to sit in first class. However, given the circumstances, the captain feels that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next to someone so disgusting." She turned to the black man, and said, "Therefore, Sir, if you would like to, please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in first class."

At that moment, the other passengers who were shocked by what they had just witnessed stood up and applauded. This is a true story.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:03 pm

Very sharp observations, Nekita!

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:58 am

Nekita, you are right!

But, I still think that we need sometimes to see someone in power who looks like us. It does not mean that the Black person in any Powerful position is going to work directly for his/her group. Very far from it. We have Colin and Condi???

It is a shame that when I was in the US working in Personal Care industries as a Chemist. I had never dreamed of becoming a Manager of that lab. It is a shame that my kids who are born Americans, I don't even think that they can become "Governor of New York", Based on Institutionalized Racism. It is a shame that I don't even think that my kids can go to yale with a D+ average. It is also a shame, that being a President in their own land is impossible (I wish I were wrong) in my dreams for them.

So, it is good to see a black Woman or Man in certain positions. That person can increase the number of Black kids (Potential Pushers or Criminals) to have a better dream than being like Snoop Doggy Dogg or Fitty Cents (as role model).

You know, I remember watching a show where this Black surgeon of Johns Hopskins Hospitals (forgive my spelling). He was the Head or Director of this very Prestigious Hospital. He stated during an award ceremony organized by NAACP (if I'm not mistaken):

"One of the problems of the Black Communities is, the Media is showing to them the wrong Role models. The media is showing all the Rappers or Hip Hop artists as role model.Take for instance the Cosby Show, a Black Doctor and a Black Lawyer living in an Apartment in Brooklyn while if they were Whites, they would have shown a Big mansion and a couple of Benz and sport cars. What does that do to the Black kids in the Ghettoes? Well, it is better to be an Artist (which is 1 over a million to make it) than go to school and be someone".

So, Nekita wrote:

[quote]“Everything that makes you feel good is not necessarily good for you.” [/quote]

I agree but, the nomination of a Native Haitian as a Governor can be and will be very positive to a Haitian kid living in Canada. Perhaps not instantly but in the future...

L'union fait la force,
leonel

T-dodo

Post by T-dodo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:55 am

[quote]Not that the time matters, but I would like to know when this incident occured. This one is a more overt example. However, many more subtle racism occur in a systemic, daily, and continual basis that many of us are feeling good all the time that we don't see it.[/quote]

Nekita,

I don't know the answer to your question. This was sent to me via e-mail by a friend and I found it interesting and perhaps creative in the way the conflict was dealt with or resolved.

Regarding your concern of complacent behavior regarding racism, it is over reaching to deduce that just from the fact of someone reading the story. Racism hurts. Like any pain, we all have different levels of suffering from it or from feeling the pain from it. Our reaction is function of the magnitude of the pain felt. At the same time, it is said and I agree, "in life, pain is inevitable but misery is optional." It is up to each one of us whether we make our life miserable just because racism exists. That would reward the racists for their behavior.

In this war against racism, it will be won one fight at a time. When a fight is won, such as a minority appointed governor whether a token gesture or not, there is no reason not see it as one more positive step towards victory in that war. I remembered your celebrating when you recently graduated. There was no reason for you not to celebrate since it crowned efforts and sacrifices you made that triggered pride for your hard work. I will not belittle minor victories by victims of racism in the war against it. For, each one counts and they are hardly won. While it does not mean the war is over, I think we should pay more attention to keep what was won at the same time we continue the fight for more. Taking pride in what has been won is human, specially to those who fought hard for them. They deserve our recognition and there is no reason not to let them savor their victory.