It's 11:00pm. Do you know who your new President is?

Guysanto
Site Admin

It's 11:00pm. Do you know who your new President is?

Post by Guysanto » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:00 pm

Oh YES !

It's Barack Obama!

Dunord

Post by Dunord » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Whew !!
Never thought I'd see a day like this but I worry. NO ONE can live up to the hope that's been placed in this guy however, for the next month or so I'm going to celebrate.

Dunord http://annpale.com/phpbb/images/icons/icon17.gif

Anacaona

Post by Anacaona » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:33 am

All I can say is wow.

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:41 am

I can say: CONGRATULATIONS to Guy Antoine. For, He believed since the beginning.

Tidodo and I doubted even though we wanted it to happen...

This is History in the making or happening!

OBAMA the President of the US!

What a wonderful time to witness!!!!

Leonel

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:06 am

Mèsi anpil tout kanmarad ki te vote nan jou istorik sa a.

Happy Barack Obama Day

Happy Afrikan-American History Year

Happy Afrikan History Decade

Happy World Healing Season

And I look forward to the day when it will become futile to even mention any of this as being peculiar.

From Sally Hemming to Michèle (the Rock) Obama, America has proven a great ability to heal herself. Congratulations are due, to the entire nation for this display of true greatness.

Now, let the work begin....

Jaf

Anacaona

Post by Anacaona » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am

The news finally sank in. Now, I believe (last night I thought I was in a dream) that Barack Obama is elected president of my country (sorry Haiti, you don't allow dual citizenship). I would like to know what those people in the videos from Ohio are saying right now and of course that pastor (I will help him pack). At least Americans know that the White House is not a church and we do not need someone feels with the Holy Spirit to run it, but we need a leader, and the color of someone's skin does not define who is a leader. Dr. King's dream finally comes true.

Ana!

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:43 am

Thank you, Leonel. I want to say this: It's not that I foresaw the outcome from the beginning. Who could have, other than Obama himself? No, I cannot take credit for that. But what I strongly defended from the very beginning was Barack Obama's decision to run for the presidency. I felt all along that if there was anything at all that was left to believe in the American Ideal, it was THE SACRED RIGHT of ANY AMERICAN, born in the U.S. to run, at a time of HIS/HER choosing, for the PRESIDENCY of the "United States of America".

Annen mo, nèg la granmoun, ba li dwa granmoun li.

The two people that I credit the most for forecasting the DREAM that we have lived since that August day in Denver, Colorado are: Martin Luther King Jr. and Senator Robert Kennedy. King put forth the dream in an incredibly forceful and elegant oratorical style. Back in 1968, Kennedy was prescient enough to say for the record that he could foresee a Black person running successfully for President in 40 years. Well, 40 years later, the dream has become reality. I know that it would have happened without my input, but I am glad that I played the part that I did in demonstrating for all to see that I, too, BELIEVED in a dream that begged not to be deferred with any sort of rationalization.

My message was simple: Let's stop playing the pundits and believe instead in our capacities for transformation. Our job in this struggle is not to cave in to the negativity that surrounds us but to catch the pass and run for the end zone, as confidently as we possibly can.

What I feared the most in this race was not racism. As I said before, a racist is a racist is a racist. We cannot truly convert them, though in the end, I even saw a group called "Racists for Obama". I could never take them seriously, though, as that is a contradiction in terms. But in my 37 years in the U.S., I have seen the emergence of a post-racial generation. This truly does not mean that RACE is no longer a factor in America. Only the most naive person would believe that. Race is a factor and will always be a factor in the history of mankind. However, it has become a factor that can be routinely now overcome with sheer strength of character. The examples are all around us. We just have to believe, as all other ethnic and immigrant groups that have achieved a high level of success in American that "YES, WE CAN".

What I did fear more than anything else was the seemingly inexhaustible capacity of the Republican machine to cheat and to steal. In my mind, that was by far the greatest danger that Obama faced. The Democrats did not appear to have the ability to counter that. The biggest deception EVER in my political life (allow me to call it that, even though I never have never run for anything) was the moment that John Kerry conceded the race four years ago, without putting up a fight in Ohio. I was truly disgusted. "Fool me once... but fool me twice?" or as George Bush would put it "There's an old saying in Tennessee... I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennesse, that says: Fool me once, shame on... ... shame on you. But fool me, can't get fool again!" Well, the Democrats showed their capacity to get fooled and fooled again. As Barack Obama demonstrated again and again his rare ability to overcome extraordinary obstacles placed in his path, I still feared the powerful Republican Vote Stealing Machine. Would the Democrats succumb to it a third time in a row? In the end, Barack Obama, his campaign manager and their superb organization outsmarted them all. They deployed thousands of lawyers all across the country, and made it extraordinarily hard for the Republican V.S.M. to pick up steam in its dirty work. I realized a few weeks ago that finally, here was a Democrat who would not put up with the nonsense.

In the end, if you want to give me credit for anything, it's for my own belief that a dream voluntarily deferred is a dream defeated. That is why I have never engaged in the foolishness of this bit of historical revisionism: that African Slaves in the French colony of Saint Domingue should have delayed the dream of becoming an independent nation. We have not fully realized the dream of our ancestors, but we should never blame them in any way for dreaming of the freedom that we exercise today, a freedom that they have died for. The fault was not theirs, the fault is ours for not pushing further the boundaries of the dream and not having work hard enough to overcome ALL OBSTACLES to "Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité". We have acted as a defeated people. We have cried "Uncle" too may times. But one day, we too shall witness a Barack Obama in our midst... I may not live to see that day, but it will happen.

Barack Obama's success is great. but by nature temporary. It needs to be sustained. The hard work has just begun. Hopefully, he will provide for a long time the sort of leadership that has confounded so far all of his critics. He set into place an extraordinary political organization that students of American Politics will study for the ages. the HOPE now is that this organization will fully understand that it cannot allow itself to disassemble at this moment. It should be kept in place to capitalize on the torrent of youthful energy that they have unleashed. After eight years of irresponsible behavior at the executive and legislative levels, the challenge before them is great. After the brief partying that is called for (exorcism really), it will be time to roll up the sleeves and begin to work. I do think that Obama, more than any recent leader and perhaps more than anyone else, understands that his MISSION HAS JUST BEGUN.

Let's give him a hand.

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:09 pm

[quote]We should not sit and wait for Obama to Change anything.
Each one of us should do Something to improve our living conditions.
EDUCATION is the key.[/quote]
Well said, Marie-Thérèse! That is the first lesson of Obama's life so far.

Boy, this Obama thing has brought more people back to Ann Pale than I have seen in a very, very long time... Let's hope it lasts a while.

Shelony

Post by Shelony » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:54 pm

I have to congratulate Guy as well because he was the one who believed when most of us thought that day would not come at least not this year but yes it happened and it brings joy and happiness to all of us.

That night, the news came to me at the worst moment, after a long exhaustive day while helping in a C section but it was a sweet moment.

Education is definitively the first lesson of our new president's life but discipline is an important one too that many of our brothers lack (some of my black sisters and brothers pissed me off the morning of election after waiting more than 2 hours in line from 6:00 to 8:15 AM and knowing that was my only chance to vote that day and that it was my first vote ever and that I had a busy 26 hours ahead of me). People held spots for 3-4 more people while others stayed in line forever. I was mad but I still voted and that was the important thing. I can't say more for now but the most important thing:

Congratulations Barack Hussein Obama!

Shelony

Zanfanginen

Post by Zanfanginen » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 am

I couldn't stop shedding my tears of joy when they proclaimed Barack Obama president. I still can't believe that it is happening in our lifetime to see a black man being successfully elected to the most powerful and most demanding job on the planet.

Although he will certainly make some unpopular decisions like Afghanistan and Al-Qaida, I believe that President Obama will thrive and will bring some dignity back to the people after eight years of chaos with the soon-to-be former president George W.Bush and Dick Cheney.