Port-à-Piment in serious peril

Guysanto
Site Admin

Port-à-Piment in serious peril

Post by Guysanto » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:52 pm

[quote]The slideshow [see link] features a partial view of Port-à-Piment during and after it experienced the effects of the storm Hanna. Based on information from the locals, there were 60 houses completely destroyed, 340 extensively damaged in the city alone. The county has two communal sections [Paricot and Balai] that were greatly devastated by the storm.[/quote]

Dr Roger Malebranche

Post by Dr Roger Malebranche » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:27 pm

I was heart broken to hear about the devastations at Port a Piment du Sud. I spent 2 and 1/2 years there as a young Haitian physician and some of my life's best memories are associated with names like L'Abbaye, Dejoie, Randall, Figuiers, Damassins etc... The city had a previous brush with Hurricane Hazel ( I think it was in the early 50s ) and was almost obliterated. Port a Piment has some the most advanced and devoted people in Haiti and I am certain they will not take their misfortune laying down. Port a Piment and La Cote would be a tourist paradise considering both its wonderful sceneries and its people.
It would put Cancun, La Samana, Puerto Vallarta etc... to shame. I hope our Port au Prince leaders for once do the right thing and take care of the country instead of taking care of themselves. Bon courage et bonne chance mes frères et soeurs de Port-à-Piment. Nous de la Diaspora qui ont pris contact avec vous et vous aimons ferons leur possible pour vous porter secours.

jafrikayiti

Post by jafrikayiti » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:09 pm

I would be surprised if the people of Port-à-Piment did not get up and pick up and build up as soon as they get dry from this devastating storm. From what I have seen in Kanperen, also in the south region, this region has people who know they are their own saviours and organize to pick the pieces after a difficult hour. As Haitians, we should all begin to see our homeland in that same light. Haiti is a very impoverished country where so many things stall because the privileged few have not yet awakened to their capacity to effect positive change. However, there are gems on this island which provide genuine reason not to despair and to build on the strength that still exist. As I type this words I am still searching my own way and I cannot point to a ready made solution to the many problems I saw in my homeland. But, I encourage all those who are, like me, involved in this search to keep at it and to do their best to contribute to positive change in our homeland. Contribute to helping Haitians trust in themselves, build together, for today and tomorrow.

From the experience of the beautiful 30 days I have spent home in August 2008, I vote for WindowsonHaiti's next reunion to take place in Haiti - no excuses! Our short stay will bring much needed currency to wherever we go and I can attest that we -Haitians - have greatly exaggerated the level of insecurity in the country and have caused to ourselves a lot of avoidable harm. Haiti is a difficult place to spend a "typical North-American or European style" vacation. But, for those who are willing to see beauty in the beautiful youths of Cité Soleil, such as these young men and Women of SODA with whom I spent two days working on their revolutionary school program, for those who can recognize and enjoy the utter beauty of Sault Maturine, after an adventurous motorcycle ride from the beautiful city of Kanperen....For those who know the great importance of Bwa Kay Iman for humanity and are willing to close an eye to the fact that the Haitian elites have completely missed their responsibilities in terms of preserving such a site.... but focus instead on enjoying what can be enjoyed and taking note of what is wrong without letting the frustration engulf you....then, Haiti is more than enjoyable, Haiti is therapeutic. Shock therapy perhaps, but helpful and healing nonetheless.

I apologize for the long text. I hope folks in Port-à-Piment, unlike me, have spent less time talking and have already begun to rebuild. Let's all join them however, we can.

Frantz, you say the word brother...we got no time to waste.

Jaf

Frantz

Post by Frantz » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Please click on this link below for pictures of Port-à-Piment before and after hurricane Hanna.
http://picasaweb.google.com/frantzphoto