Obama picks Biden as VP (and spurns Ann Pale members)

Guysanto
Site Admin

Obama picks Biden as VP (and spurns Ann Pale members)

Post by Guysanto » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:56 pm

I had been waiting but without much anticipation for the announcement of Obama's pick for quite a while. Mwen tap tann men poutan mwen pa te janm santi kè mwen sou biskèt. Somehow I knew all along that none of my own preferences for the ticket would or even could end up as the finalist: Shelony (strongly considered until they just discovered that her city of birth, Leogane, is not part of Louisiana), Michel Nau (they had trouble sorting out his various identities), Leonel (they said he was an atheist, and too enamored of Argentinians), Jafrikayiti (they said that he was too radical, and besides he would steal the show in 2012 by running for President himself with Serena Williams as his V.P.), Tidodo (he'd give some duplicate keys of the White House to the Clintons), Serge (he just blew it by taking a trip to Havana and not bringing any cigars back to Obama. Bill isn't happy about that either, because he wanted some too, given that his last one was sucked down a slippery canal that he did not dare recover it from, lest his plumbing activities be exposed on page 1 of the New York Post and Hill give him the boot once and for all) [God knows what Serge intends to do with his stash of Cohibas and Delgados...], Gelin (they said he was too much into beans, and you know how explosive beans can be), Anacaona (they thought she was a black indian princess, and seriously how many minorities can a campaign handle: black, woman, indian, royalty... get out of here!) ...

...or even me! I have not the foggiest idea why they did not pick me. I raised a freaking $825 for the man... what more could they want? Did they really expect me to meet the $1,000 challenge? Ha! That would be the day.

Anyway, Obama just called me and told me that he had picked Joe Biden, our man from Delaware. I said: "Really, Bama-o-Bama, how low did I get on the list? I read about it all in the early hours this morning and my cell phone never vibrated even once until now". He said sheepishly: "Sorry, Guy, we thought you and the entire Ann Pale crew were on a Tahitian vacation. That's why you were not higher on our priority list of people to call. Next time, I'll do better, I promise. And tell Serge that... oh forget about it, I'll lift the stupid embargo and get my own damn cigar."

"Next time"??? Is that guy crazy or what? Next time, I'll be feeding him my own exclusive list of candidates. Cannot trust his campaign!

There you go, like it ot not, Joe Biden for Vice-President. Unless Dick Cheney closes shop and takes the job with him indefinitely to an undisclosed location.

Serge

Post by Serge » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:44 am

That's a great one Guy! I could not stop laughing while reading this. I see you let your imagination run wild. Great lines about the cigars! Hope Obama reads this.

Serge

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks, Serge. You are the only one paying attention.

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:33 pm

[quote]Remember he is only 50% black[/quote]
Very funny, Clement! What are you... 86% black?

[quote]He only pretends to wink his eyes, so that fools like us, pour money on his path to the White House[/quote]
You're right... I gave him another $50 after I watched him "wink his eyes". But why are you saying "fools like us"? You are not one of "us" fools, are you?

[quote]Another Clinton traitor. let's no forget[/quote]
Probably another funny joke... but I don't quite get it. Would you mind defining what a "Clinton traitor" is.

Anyway...zzz, Go McCain! He is not a Clinton traitor, right?

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:26 pm

[quote]It's your words not mine's, sir.[/quote]
Well, perhaps, you cannot appreciate my sense of humor. I would have thought that the sarcasm implied was not that obscure. For your information, the leading post was strictly intended to be funny. I hope that not too many others fell in the trap you did, as that was definitely not my intent.

The links you added were very good by the way. I enjoyed reading them.

As for Obama being "another Clinton traitor", that's passing judgment before the sin is committed. I am not saying that Obama is above critique or criticism. In fact, if you search some recent contents of Ann Pale, you will see that I have criticized some of his votes (on the FISA bill, the wall between the U.S. and Mexico, his pro-war stance on Afghanistan, etc). However, at this point, I judge the Obama-Biden ticket to be MY OWN, 5000% over the alternative, McCain-Palin. I do think that a McCain-Palin administration will be little different from the Bush-Cheney administration. And McCain's congressional record is ample evidence of that. In addition, the very photogenic Mrs. Palin appears to be even to the right of Mr. McCain: Roe vs. Wade, creationism, not to mention her worst attribute: her voluntary participation in the destruction of Alaska's natural environment, and by extent her denial of global warming and the desirability to protect some animal species. So, what would I be gaining by branding Obama "a Clinton traitor" ? Any vote not cast for Obama is, like it or not, a vote AGAINST the democratic ticket. This translates to a vote for McCain-Palin. That is THE reality, today September 08, 2008.

Like you, I was completely dismayed by Clinton's executive order, signed 24 hours before he was actually sworn as President, an order to interdict Haitian refugees at sea and return them to Haiti without due process (that is an hearing to determine the validity of their fears or special circumstances. This was shocking, not because the U.S. did not have a logical reason (trying to stop a sudden exodus of Haitians to Florida's shores). However, Clinton had forcefully condemned the same policy which was implemented by his predecessor, George H.W. Bush (or Bush Sr.), as "immoral and inhumane". Even in the context of Washinton politics, that was a flip-flop of extraordinary proportions.

Now how should we react to that? Should we voluntarily hand in power to the Republican Party which has treated Haiti in even worse ways than the Democrats? Or should we support THE BETTER CANDIDATE and work to influence his policies, as that is OUR RESPONSIBILITY ? We would be foolish to expect Obama to spend his entire political capital on Haitians!! But the simple fact that he chose a Haitian-American, Mr. Patrick Gaspard as the Policy Director (strategist) of his electoral campaign AND the fact that he has publicly declared that the U.S. immigration policies are harsher for Haitians than other groups, should give us an opportunity to commend him and influence him more, if we can (yes, we can) to pay greater attention to our needs (like TPS, Temprary Protected Status for Haitian immigrants, in view of the natural disasters back home in Haiti).

At this stage, I see absolutely no reason to label Obama "a Clinton traitor". I would only do so if I were a mad "McCain-Palin" FAN or a super-rich devil-may-care Conservative.

Until proven wrong, I believe that we should do our utmost to support the democratic ticket, this time around. Enough of Bush, Bush, and Bush.

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 am

Clinton, a Traitor?
I doubt it! First, Clinton had a Republican Senate and Congress... Secondly, any President of the USA, is for the USA's interests. There is nothing wrong with that.
Also by judging Obama because of his 50/50 is wrong and...(I don't wanna put it, it would be too harsh).
By the way, Clement, your writings sound familiar, have we met at Ann Pale before?
Now, I understand that Joe Biden is a Great Man. But, as I stated before, I think that Hillary would have been the Right Choice!
Guys, did you hear that PALIN? She sounds like a GW with a skirt! Her exposure to Foreign Countries is the fact that Alaska is close to Russia and Canada?
Now, this is the time for Hardball. Obama's side should go after Her and McCain strongly on every issue! Family values, Experience, Health Care and everything else.
I think that McCain gambled and this is giving Obama the Presidency on a Silver or even a Diamond Platter. That is if they play a "Carl Rove's type of Game".
People need to know that McCain's economic plan is ZERO, Health Care, Education etc are weak. His only claim is: "Foreign Affairs and Security"? It looks like being a Prisonner in Vietnam gave him all the experiences needed, Give me a Break!
Please, America, no more GW! A Conservative is not for change. The name says so!
To conclude, there are some States which should be excluded from Voting! It's been proven that they are not that Bright to pick a President!
They gave us GW even though We told them this was a Wrong Choice. Now, We the People of the Blue States look like "Nostradamus"...
It's still the ECONOMY, Stupid!
Leonel

Serge

Post by Serge » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:27 am

Guys, it seems that Clement really does not have a sense of humor at all, and does not even know what humor is. I am at a loss as to how he extrapolated to brig the discussion to this point. But, let me leave at that.

Leonel, at this point, I think that Palin would be much worse than GW. The woman is arrogant, has this air that she is not rattled by anything, and worst of all, she does not know anything and constantly distorts her record.

Did you hear the latest: it seems that she never went to Iraq, but stayed on a military post at the Kuwait-Iraq border. And I think this is just the tip of the iceberg, despite what has come out already. The day the press decides not be intimidated anymore, that Obama shakes up his reluctance to play hard ball and confront McCain, we will see a big turn of events. There is still time for that.

Let me leave you with this. I am not entirely convinced that if he had chose Hillary, his numbers would be to the roof. The reason for this is hat there would be no chemistry between the two of them and in the short run, things would look good, but in the long run, what could happen?

I see the Republican machine throwing mud all over the place and exploiting the differences and brainwashing the public about the cynicism of Obama to win an election. what Obama fails to do is precisely that: to show that McCain is the cynic one who prefers to win an election than put his country first. How can he explain otherwise, after all that he said, his choice of a woman who is utterly incompetent, when there others much more qualified to do the job? That is political calculation, pure and simple.

It is the Obama's campaign fault that it has not gone after McCain with a vengeance, maybe because of overconfidence and a sense of invincibility. Underestimating the adversary. Isn't it why Hillary Clinton lost the nomination?

Strangely enough, if Obama loses I maintain that it will be because of that failure to react properly to McCain in an excess of overconfidence.

Serge

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 am

Serge,
I think we should get ready for a McCain/Palin administration... It's showing the incapacity of the Democratic party which failed eight years ago with Karl Rove's nasty and genial Political ways. That same Rove is back after so many black clouds on top of his head. He is untouchable ,so far!

I wonder what magic or miracle Obama would need to turn this around?
Believe me, I am careless with the national Polls. But, I can see what the Media did and still doing. They are pushing Palin through our throat, and it's working!

Nou mEt rele tout lwa ginen yo, bwa'a mare. Na ret tann katran ankO. Meanwhile, the economy is receiving hits after hits. Another Financial Giant, Lehman Brothers fell. Bagay yo ap vinn pi di.

A peine si les plus justes seront sauves.

Leonel

Serge

Post by Serge » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:59 am

Leonel,

Batay la panko prèt pou fini. SI w gade byen , youn nan nou devlòpman yo, se chak jou, gen yon lòt bagay ki soti sou Madan Palin, yon manti li te bay ousman lap kontinye bay, manipilisayon enfòmasyon an, elatrye. Epi ankò, laprès la ap demantibile paske yo vekse yo pa fouti pale ak li. Kididonk, ou ka wè kouman yap devore li ak lafwa.

Si Obama kapab kenbe presyon an sou bò pa li, atake McCain pou kraze kredibilite, mwen kwè lap gen anpil chans. Dayè, sonday jodya deja montre Obama gen 5 pwen sou McCain.

Kenbe la!
Serge

Leoneljb

Post by Leoneljb » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:07 pm

Serge, mwen admire vi optimis ke'w genyen'an. Men, si nou gade byen, n'a wE ke bagay yo plis panche sou bO McCain.
Li pa fE ankenn sans, ke Obama ak Biden ki ta sipoze bat McCain a sapat. Pou la prEs ap oze di ke bagay yo sere.
Mwen menm, mwen pa gen tout optimis vi sa. Paske, mwen te resevwa oun etid ke yo fE sou "Race Relation" opwen de vi djOb. Kote ke yo montre ke oun moun ki bezwen anboche oun moun ap plis fasil pran oun ti blan ki san oun "High School Diploma", ke oun moun Nwa ki gen kolEj degre. Kidonk, ou panse moun sa yo ap mete oun nEg Nwa kOm Prezidan?
Paske, mwen menm mwen pa kwE nan simagri poll ke y'ap fE yo. A la fen, desizyon moun yo pran nan "Voting Booth" la. Gen moun ki di ke yo pou chanjman. Men sepandan, yo pap vote pou oun moun nwa. Chanjman sa'a twO vif. Yo prefere Blan ki te anvan dEnye nan klas NAvy li ya, ak Palin ki pase sis kolEj pou li te abouti ak oun BA nan kwakseswa...
What will happen? McCain/ Palin elected! Se pa jwEt.
Leonel

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:01 am

There has always been two Americas (multiple Americas, as a matter of fact, but let's keep it at two in this context for simplicity) :

On one hand, there's the America - a land of immigrants from around the world, who have all come here in search of a richer and safer life - that has allowed us to partake in its bounty and ultimately to register and advocate our views right here on this forum. Americans ready for a true change in leadership, whether it comes from a white man, a black man, a woman or any other eligible candidate. Americans who have shown real solidarity with people from Haiti, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Nicaragua, etc. Americans who take a personal stand against imperialism and the killing of innocent people anywhere in the world by brute American firepower.

Then, there is the other America - a land of racist rednecks and ultra-conservative intellectuals that want to keep us out. African-Americans not treated as equals. Haitians seen as garbage, subhuman filth. Blacks receiving disproportionate sentences in penal institutions and occasionally sent to death row and execution, not for crimes that they did not commit but for being Black. Racial profiling on the highways of New Jersey and in countless small towns all over the U.S., as well as big cities like New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles. More Black males of college age in prison than in school. Haitians interdicted at sea or after reaching shore, and deported without a hearing. Americans who would never vote for a Black man for President.

Is America fairly painted as one or the other of the two Americas that I briefly (and no doubt, inadequately) described above?

No one can deny that those two (or multiple) Americas exist.

The most intriguing question is: Which one of those two Americas will show up in greater numbers at the polls on November 4, 2008?

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:25 pm

I asked above:[quote] The most intriguing question is: Which one of those two Americas will show up in greater numbers at the polls on November 4, 2008?
[/quote]
... and I wonder: What proportion of Haitian-American citizens are going to exercise their right to vote?

Let me give you one example: One Haitian-American citizen I know has a keen interest in American electoral politics. Every chance he gets, he asks me what I think of the latest news, the latest polls, the latest political twists, what I think of Obama's chances, etc. However, he's never bothered to register to vote for the last several elections. I made a point of showing him how easy the process was. He could do so online: http://www.rockthevote.com , http://www.voteforchange.com , etc. So, I tried to pin him down: stop talking so much about politics, unless you are willing to do something about it. He immediately walked away from the screen: "Ahh... I don't believe that my vote would make a difference. I don't want to get involved in that kind of thing."

That is one sad but real example. Just how many Haitian-American citizens think just like him and absolutely refuse to cast a vote?

For my friend and so many others, it's easier to blame America for everything. They never see their attitude as part of the problem.