What a weekend for Obama!

Guysanto
Site Admin

What a weekend for Obama!

Post by Guysanto » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:11 pm

BBC.com

Illinois Senator Barack Obama is projected to win the Democratic caucus in Maine, defeating Hillary Clinton.

The Maine contest tops a weekend of gains by Mr Obama in the battle for the party's presidential nomination.

On Saturday, Mr Obama won in polls Louisiana, Nebraska and Washington state and the US Virgin Islands.

The clean sweep of all five weekend contests puts him almost neck-and-neck with Hillary Clinton in their deadlocked nomination battle.

Meanwhile, Mrs Clinton has appointed a new campaign manager after this weekend's setbacks.

Maggie Williams, who was the New York senator's chief of staff when her husband was serving as US president, will take over from Patty Doyle, who has decided to step down.

Campaign aides said Ms Doyle's decision was not urged upon her by Mrs Clinton or any senior members of her team, the Associated Press reports.

Mr Obama and Mrs Clinton now head into a series of contests on Tuesday: Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/a ... 238153.stm

Published: 2008/02/11 00:04:02 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

Guysanto
Site Admin

Post by Guysanto » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:29 pm

I wonder what Tidodo thinks of all of this.

Anyway, Obama is confounding a lot of predictions...

If he wins the Democratic nomination and fails against McCain in the general election, I guess I will hear again the argumentation that (somehow) some Republicans put him up to this to derail the supposedly excellent chances of Senator Clinton. By losing, he will give fuel to those speculations. And a lot of people will say: "I told you so, America was not and is not ready for a Black president," meaning, wait another 50 years or so!

And there will be nothing that I can say about all the pessimism.

Except that I am not buying it... Not then, not now, and not in the future!

I don't know that Obama will make a good president. I truly do not trust politicians that much, no matter what color or gender that they may be.

However, what I know is that pessimism is just the best fuel there is to perpetuate the status quo.

Whoever wins the presidency in November ought to be better than Bush/Cheney a thousandfold, whether it be Hillary, Obama, or even McCain. If it weren't for his despicable stand on Iraq and Iran, I could even begin to like that fellow. McCain vs. (any) Bush, McCain vs. Powell, McCain vs. Rice, McCain vs. Romney, McCain vs. Cheney, McCain vs. any other prominent Republican that I can think of, I'll take McCain any day. He reminds me a little of that other influential conservative that I liked very much (no, no, not that Reagan fellow, I am talking about Barry Goldwater, no doubt betraying my age!) I actually like McCain on several fronts, but on balance his aggressive pro-war stances scare me very much. He sees no problem staying put in Iraq for the next hundred years. And worse, he appears gleeful at the prospect of bombing Iran. That completely ruins it for me. Too bad!

I cannot even consider voting Republican. And I cannot let any of my friends vote Republican either, if I can help it! Perhaps some other time... but not with this warmongering generation of insanely trigger-happy Republicans. Not with these serial killers. Not with this pack of inveterate liars. Not with this economy-wrecking fiscally irresponsible bunch. Not with this cabal of supremacists who see more virtue in profiteering from the spoils of war than in insuring health care for poor children. NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Hillary should have been a refreshing change of face. The first WOMAN president of the United States. But I cannot bring myself to trust her. She has been in bed with the Bush administration too many times, especially on the issue of war in Iraq and in the Middle East. I do understand that she must appeal to the core interests of a highly sensitive, very vocal Jewish community that will never compromise on the Palestinian issue and any other perceived threat to Israel (though there is a much more progressive debate happening in Israel itself on vital issues pertaining to present and future relations of Israel and its neighbors). Still, I expect certain high-minded principles to prevail. My feeling is that Hillary is such the consummate politician that she will be willing to trade any principle for the sake of advancing herself to the next level. Still, compared to any currently influential Republican, I'll take Hillary. And I think of all the little girls out there who will think, and rightfully so, I can be Madame President too some day and will not even think of their gender as a handicap. It should never have been in the first place. I do wish that I could be more enthusiastic about Hillary however. Sadly, I am not.

And then there's "YES WE CAN" Obama!! !! !!

I am still terribly unhappy that he voted for the construction of the fence on the U.S.-Mexican border. There is no question about that. But given the parameters of permissible political discourse in the United States, I do believe that Obama represents the single greatest potential for change, not in the fundamental nature of American government (that would be too naive), but in the perception of ordinary and even disenfranchised Americans citizens about the role that they can play to transform the nature of domestic policy for the next hundred years.

Yes we can, men and women of all ethnicities and differing shades of skin color, undertake the long and arduous process of transforming American politics to be more in line with its celebrated ideals of fairness, justice for all, and equal opportunity. And there is absolutely nothing wrong doing that under the leadership of THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. We should never wallow in the pessimism that America is not ready for this or not ready for that. The real question is ARE WE READY? (Not a vague America, but you, your spouse, your children, your neighbors, your friends.) ARE YOU READY? If you truly are, damn the negativity. Obama is not perfect, but then again who is? Obama cannot all by himself change the U.S. government, but we can hold him to the fire of his fiery promises and let us through the door, so WE CAN finally address some necessary changes and vexing inequalities.

I urge you to vote for Obama. January 20 2009 will be a bright day in Washington D.C. with the long-awaited, long-hoped-for, departure of Bush and Cheney. Make it a much brighter day with the swearing-in of Barack Obama, a President in our image. A President we will not have to wait for, when a lot of us will be dead anyway. A President we may have only dreamed of yesterday, but that we can have TODAY, to meet the challenges of tomorrow.

NOW is the time.