A Parent's challenge?

Leonel JB

A Parent's challenge?

Post by Leonel JB » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:26 am

Raising children is a very challenging job. One has to deal with feeding and clothing the kids etc. One has to support your children in good and bad times. These are some duties needed for the upbringing of your Child(ren).
But, I have these concerns for over a decade now. Do parents need to be smart to raise children?
For, it seems that Teachers are not really teaching. The parents are doing the teaching for them. There are times, my kids come to me for help. Myself, I don't even have a clue how to resolve or help them with the obstacles.
Which makes me wonder. What about an illiterate Parent. What kind of help can He or She provide when the teachers expect Parents to participate?
I've spent so many times in School. Believe me, sometimes I don't even wanna drive by a School. I think that a Teacher's job is to teach and assign homeworks. The kids' job is to do their work based on what being taught.
What
if I did not go to School?
What if I was mentally Handicapped?
Nekita, I know that you are an Educator, or anyone, Help me and a lot of Parents who feel the same...

leonel

Liline

Post by Liline » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:16 pm

I wouldn't say parents need to be "book smart" as some would call it, I think it's only necessary for them to realize that if they can't help explain things to their kids, then the best thing to do is to look for outside help. Mainly I'm thinking about tutors and such.

For the teachers' defense out there, I would say there are many factors that sometimes force the teachers to rely on students doing outside reading and school work, and many times if these things weren't necessarily focused in class, I'm sure the teacher feels that they are at a level of grasping the info and doing exercises based on it. But yes many times kids might require their parents help, or a tutors help.

And also, many times teachers have the good excuse of seeing themselves as more guides to the children's learning experiment. Like they like to say, it takes a village...

Leonel JB

Post by Leonel JB » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:16 am

Liline, what if I can not afford a Tutor?
Probably some sixty years ago, there were some parents who were illiterates. But, yet without any help fron Tutors, the job was done.
The Teachers always say that the class sizes matter. Well, I was in a classroom with 62 other students...
Line, my question is this, what are the Teacher's jobs?
The parent's job is to Educate, what about the Teachers?
leonel

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:38 pm

Hey, Liline, are you a teacher by any chance?

I have this problem with most teachers, these days: they overwhelm their students with homework, perhaps not individually, but collectively they place an excessive burden on the kids and, indirectly at times, on working parents as well. Surely, the most hard-working students will survive the onslaught of homework, but does it actually benefit their overall development as well-rounded human beings? I happen to think that playtime and lots of free time for socializing with parents, siblings, extended family members, friends, and the community at large can be more valuable than time spent deciphering academic lessons or at least living with the guilt of not spending enough time doing just that. I do not actually want to argue against homework, especially the kind involving critical thinking and research skills, but I do think that these days, lots of teachers are trigger happy when it comes to p
ushing homework, while being unapologetically deficient in pedagogical technique.

Liline

Post by Liline » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:48 pm

[quote]Liline, what if I can not afford a Tutor?
Probably some sixty years ago, there were some parents who were illiterates. But, yet without any help fron Tutors, the job was done.
The Teachers always say that the class sizes matter. Well, I was in a classroom with 62 other students...
Line, my question is this, what are the Teacher's jobs?
The parent's job is to Educate, what about the Teachers?
leonel[/quote]

Leonel, there are many after school programs that are free where they have volunteers and workers there to help the kids with their homework and such. I sometimes volunteer at one up here in Tallahassee. So if money is a problem, I would hope that they(the parents/guardians) would look to see what is available in their communities.

My thing is this, it is very hard for the teacher to have their students grasp all the materials they
are going over in class without the students putting some effort into it outside of the classroom. Things like reading their books, notes, and doing exercises, etc., help to enforce what is being seen in class. Like I said before, I'm sure if the teacher gives them something that they might not have spent much time on in class to go over at home, it's because they believe that their students will be able to grasp the material.

It takes a village...so both parents and teachers and whomever else help "educate" the child as you say. You can't just expect the teacher to do the whole teaching without outside help, and you can't expect the parents to do it by themselves either. Work together.

:D

Liline

Post by Liline » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:02 pm

[quote]Hey, Liline, are you a teacher by any chance? [/quote]

Working on it Guy :D

So eventually you'll have both Li(y)nou's as teachers :lol:

Guy I agree that the time outside of school work, is important too. I think what you mentioned is based on individual teachers...W'ap jwenn tout kalite pwofesè... Some "good", some "bad", some so set in their ways that they can never bend. At the end it all depends on what type of teacher your student gets. I think we've all had such and such type of teacher. I guess the best teacher would be one that takes all these matters into consideration.

:D