Secondary Schools in the Country (Andeyò): Good or Bad?

Tayi

Secondary Schools in the Country (Andeyò): Good or Bad?

Post by Tayi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 am

Hello friends:

I would appreciate your thoughts on this question or these questions.
1. It seems that education is a hands-down important thing for all Haitians, in fact for all people, or is it?

2. Traditional wisdom is great treasure from our peasants

3. The simplicity of life in the country is a beautiful aspect of Haiti not to be messed with

3. The youth provide a unique freshness to life in an area

With those givens or questions, now think of having a secondary school in the countryside. Many young people, I am told, once they finish their secondary education or just part of it began to manifest a certain arrogance towards country life (working the land etc.) and even toward the peasants, seeing them as uneducated etc.

Also, armed with a secondary education, many young people will NOT remain in the village; they will go to some city (probably Port-au-Prince) in search of a job where they can wear a suit or work in some office. So we have evacuation by education. But even without a secondary education, would they not leave anyway? Is is not that important to try to keep the young people home? Is it actually good that they leave?

Ironically, often these "suit" jobs which they seek may pay less than some "dirty" manual labor. So they now make less than they could.

Insecurity and dirt are usually higher in the cities

Notice I did not really talk about primary education; I just assume that everyone would be on the same page that it seems to be important for all children. But if you would like to question its place in the country as well, please go ahead.

Some initial thoughts about bringing some solution to the perceived problems may be:

1. Have the schools focus on the humility and honor of education as a way to check the pride
2. Begin to teach early some agriculture, veterinary skills, and other local ways of life so there is no disdain for them later on
3. Create a culture of fellowship with music, plays, comedy, poetry, sports, spirituality etc that would help the young feel that they belong to something special and thereby develop also a bond to the mountains.
4. Try to create some jobs by...

Now let us say that a community succeeds in keeping its youth in the villages, that there are jobs created, and development really begins to take place. What if it just becomes another city? What if all village communities do the same? Does that mean we no longer have the simple country living of the peasants? Is Tayi paranoid? :-)

Well that should be enough for now. Looking forward to your thoughts. I know I just rambled on, but those were my thoughts...

Gelin_

Re: Secondary Schools in the Country (Andeyò): Good or Bad?

Post by Gelin_ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:47 pm

[quote]...Is it actually good that they leave?[/quote]
Tayi, just look in your own life for a while. Did you leave at some point, and was it good for you?

[quote] 2. Begin to teach early some agriculture, veterinary skills, and other local ways of life so there is no disdain for them later on...[/quote]
I agree and that may be one of the missing links in the education system. After you spend several months reading about Voltaire and Rousseau, and after learning how to write your own dissertation so you can agree with these 'great european thinkers', why should you care about these poor peasants who can't even write their own name? Unless...

gelin