A small but unexpected victory!

Guysanto
Site Admin

A small but unexpected victory!

Post by Guysanto » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:42 pm

This is a feedback I sent to the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services. on Feb 7, 2007.
[quote]Prefix: Mr.
First Name: Guy
MI: S
Last Name: Antoine
Suffix:
Address1: 35 Fairview Avenue
Address2:
City: South Orange
County: Essex
State: NJ
Zip: 07079

E-mail: guyantoine@haitiforever.com

Subject: State Forms translated to Haitian, not French Creole

Comments:
Thank you for the wealth of information provided on your website. Please note however that the term "French Creole" is derisive, though I understand that this is unintentional. Educated Haitians speak two fully developed languages: Haitian (also referred to sometimes as KREYOL or HAITIAN CREOLE) and French. The Haitian language is not a Creole, linguistically speaking. Over the last three centuries, it has developed into a well-structured language that stands on its own. I am Haitian and I do speak, read, and teach Haitian. Thank you so much for your attention.
[/quote]

I did not expect much in terms of a response, but I am very pleasantly surprised to receive this response today [February 15]

An officer of the Office of Minority and Multicultural Health responded.
[quote]Mr. Antoine,

Thank you for your email message calling our attention to the use of the term "French Creole."

In developing the web page that you refer to, our office referenced the U.S. Census for data as well as terminology. Please see the U.S. Census web site:
(http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ST ... 05_EST_G00_).

The Office of Minority and Multicultural Health respects the many cultural preferences of our constituents and upon reading your email message and further investigation (including examining the web site of the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene - http://home2.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/tb/tb1.shtml), we have changed the term on our web page to say "Haitian Creole" instead of "French Creole."

Thank you for bringing this important issue to our attention.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tonya Joyner, MPH
Office of Minority and Multicultural Health
New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services
P.O. Box 360
Trenton, NJ 08625
T: 609/292-6962
F: 609/292-8713
[/quote]

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:17 am

Bravo, Guy!

Marilyn

Tidodo

Post by Tidodo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:33 am

Way to go, Guy, for the most modern language that I know of!

Serge

Post by Serge » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 am

Hi Guy,

Well done. It is quite interesting that you got a positive feedback which led to those substantive changes.

By the way, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights is getting ready to have the American Convention on Human Rights and the Inter-American Convention on the Prevention of violence against women translated into Haitian Kreyòl. Lang lan ap kontinye make pwen toupatou.

Serge

Michelange Hyppolite

Post by Michelange Hyppolite » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Se konsa wi Guy, nou dwe fè sa nou gen pou nou fè. Pa gen pyèsmounn ki pral mennen batay la pou nou. Se noumenm menm Ayisyen ki dwe kanpe epi mande rektifikasyon pou tout koze kochi yo ap di sou nou, sou pèp nou an, peyi nou ak sou lanng nou pale a.

Kenbe fèm gason!

Piti piti n' a rive
Piti piti, si n' mache
Youn jou n' a rive.

Se youn chante batay nan ane 1970 yo. Mwen te konn tande li sou Emisyon Lè Ayisyèn epòk mwen ta pe viv nan Jèze Siti. Mwen pa vle mete non gwoup la, paske mwen pa sonje li, men se youn chante ki toujou vin jwe marèl nan lespri mwen chak fwa noumenm kreyolis fè youn pa anplis sou kokennchdenn wout ki blayi devan nou an.

M'ale
Michel-Ange Hyppolite ( Kaptenn Koukourouj)
Manm Sosyete Koukouy Kanada